Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Back from 5-week, primarily budget, trip to Florence, Rome, Venice, Naples, Bellagio, Capri, Munich, Berlin, Clomar, Barcelona, Madrid & PARIS!! Any questions?

Search

Back from 5-week, primarily budget, trip to Florence, Rome, Venice, Naples, Bellagio, Capri, Munich, Berlin, Clomar, Barcelona, Madrid & PARIS!! Any questions?

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 1998, 04:06 AM
Donna

Please ask any questions about these places but keep in mind that the two of us generally spent only $100 a day. So, I know the budget hotels. But we did have a few splurges, especially in Paris and Venice.

Old May 29th, 1998, 07:04 AM
Patty

When in Venice did you go to Murano? Is it easy to negoiate the water taxi system or do I need a tour guide? While in Naples did you go to Sorrento? We are trying to decide whether to stay in Naples or Sorrento, any suggestions? We would like a hotel with a water view. Did you stay on Capri? Any information on where to stay, what to see or if everything is nicer after the day-trippers leave Capri would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old May 29th, 1998, 07:30 AM
Donna

I did not go to Murano on this trip but did when I was there last. I was staying in Venice for three months and went with the natives so I do not know what to tell you except if you like to go with groups do so. If not, it is easy enough to manage
to get there on your own. As far as Naples is concerned I would stay in Sorrento if given the choice between Napoli & Sorrento but next time we go we're staying on the Island of Capri. It's really fantastic. It's quite a charming place. I would easily consider a 5 night stay on the Island and day trip out to Pompeii and the coast.

Old May 29th, 1998, 08:10 AM
Gail Horn

My husband and I are leaving on Monday, June 1st for a seven week trip to Europe. We have a budget of $100 to $150 per day. We are going to Sorrento,Rome,Florence,Venice,Bellagio,and throughout Switzerland, Austria, and Germany. Please let us know how you managed to stay within $100 per day with room, food, and attractions. Also, what are the highlights of this places and what would you recommend to delete from these places?

Old May 29th, 1998, 05:39 PM
Donna

In a word, Picnics! We had picnics in every place imaginable. Here's how we did it. Five weeks is a lot of time especially on a budget. So, we picked the cheapest rooms and only picked wrong once (in Napoli we had a dirty room) all others were clean and quiet. I did tons of research to find the quiet ones in the most accessible neighborhoods. We started out in Italy going full blast seeing everything possible then settled into a routine of asking each other what we can't miss seeing or doing and starting there. This was the budget routine - Sleep late (the only chance in a long time) get up in time to buy picnic supplies go to a beautiful or meaningful spot to eat. Walk around for the next 5 hours or so then back to the hotel for a rest then out for a beer or wine and a simple meal. Since going out at night ruins any budget we brought Scrabble, Chess and a deck of cards and started a freindly competition that lasted the entire trip. Also, to save we took overnight trains almost always. That gave us a chance to go to a few more restaurants. One day out of seven was a laundry day - that was always an interesting experience.

Now, other tips...Comfortable Shoes, Zip Lock Baggies of all sizes, towel, Plastic cups for wine, plasticware for eating, swiss army knife, wine opener, Big enough backpack, babywipes for cleaning, always have tissues in a pocket (never can rely on paper in a toilet), don't forget to carry small change for attendants in the toilets. Pack light!!

Another thing that made our trip special is that from each city we bought a special momento. Also, involve the caretakers of your pension or hotel in conversation. It makes you feel more at home and they are more likely to pass along helpful tips.

As far as sights, Capri is a must, Leaning Tower (Day Trip from Florence), Bellagio's Villa Serbelloni Tour of the grounds - the cafe's by the water let you linger forever over one drink! In Bellagio have Pizza at La Grotta - excellent. We took the train over the Bernina Pass - From Tirano - Chur - it was a beautiful train ride! If my hubby was more of a hiking type we would have spent more time in Switzerland but not this time. Must go to the Hofbrauhaus in Munich! Berlin day trip to Sans Souci & the Wansee beach was a highlight.

I hope this was some help.

Old May 30th, 1998, 01:12 AM
Chengfeng Gao

Your message is very helpful to me. I will be going to Europe for holiday with my wife in the end of July. In Denmark and Germany, we will stay in houses of our friends. But in Paris, Venice, and Rome (3 nights each), we have to find private accommodations or youth hostels due to our budget of $120/day. We should appreciate it every much if you would introduce us some places to stay in the above three cities. Thanks!

Old May 30th, 1998, 03:54 PM
Al Pileggi

I've taken an almost identical trip for seven weeks,except that I skipped Berlin, Clomar and Munich (I'm not crazy about Germany). One other exception is that we took in Cinque Terre. I must say that Bellagio is the prettiest town I've ever visited.Did you get to visit Tony the Wine King in Bellagio? It's an experience I'll never forget.

Old May 30th, 1998, 04:31 PM
Beth

Donna, where in Paris did you picnic that you loved? Do you suggest any of the bakeries or eateries where you purchased your goodies? What did you eat(breads, cheeses, fruits, meats) that was good? I'm headed to Paris for the first time in October.

Old May 30th, 1998, 05:16 PM
Donna

Chenfeng-- We went over our daily limit in Venice and Paris but made up for it in Spain & Germany. I've been in Venice several times and usually pay around $60 for a double in my favorite little place. E-mail me for the address & phone if you like. Paris we stayed on Rue Cler which was fantastic. You will find that all the Rick Steve's followers stay there and for a very good reasons. The pedestrian street is quiet. The market each day is fantastic. It's a perfect location for walking to all necessary sights. We will stay if not on Rue Cler itself but in the neighborhood each time we go. It was that great! Basically again $60 for a double. As for picnic sights we loved best was the late evening picnic just in front of Ecole Militaire looking at the Eiffel Tower. But again, there was the picnic right under the bridge that connects the two Isle's on the Seine -- after the picnic we headed to Berthillon for an ice cream - Yum. Sacre-Couer provided another great view.

Old May 30th, 1998, 05:23 PM
Donna

Beth -- I forgot to get specific. As far as buying things look around the neighborhood in which you are staying and pick the places with the longest lines. That's what we did and were not disappointed. In fact, this one bakery, Poujauran - 20 Rue Jean-Nicot, we came across and then saw it in the guide booked touted as the second most famous bakery in Paris. It was a great one!

Old May 30th, 1998, 05:30 PM
Donna

Chenfeng-- In Rome we picked the most inexpensive listing I found - Hotel Otello, Via Marghera (4th Floor) - Just to the right of the train station. It was quiet and clean and was 60,000 lire for the double. Since we primarily took overnight trains we chose hotels close to the stations to avoid being too tired and looking for hotels via subway and bus.

Old May 31st, 1998, 09:56 AM
Rebecca

Donna, this is very interesting, and very generous of you. Any comments on Spain, particularly Madrid? Did you follow the eating patterns and times there? Did you eat the tapas, and if so, did you find it expensive or not to do that? Any other tips on getting around and doing things in a safe, smooth way would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old May 31st, 1998, 11:25 AM
Donna

In Madrid we have some family but we still stayed in a Pension and did about the same things. The subway system is fantastic in Madrid. Another good source of information is the on-line guide, SoftGuide Madrid, "softguides.com". Everything they suggested was right on. One fantastic restaurant we tried was Restaurante Casa de Valencia, Paseo del Pintor Rosales, 58 Metro: Arguelles. It was far and above the best Paella we have ever tasted. The service was perfect, the atmosphere a mix of formal and casual and reasonably priced. One general tip I would like to offer is that once you pick a hotel research the neighborhood. It's no fun wandering around looking for that perfect restaurant from your list and missing out on the one in front of your hotel! Know what is close and best in your general area.

Old May 31st, 1998, 11:31 AM
Donna

Tapas were our main source of food in Spain. How wonderful to go have a drink and they hand over a little morsel that just wets your appetite for more. Our favorite tapas were Patatas Bravas, Bacaloa in tomato sauce, croquettes, fried pepper and Calamari Romas. In Barcelona we went for tapas in touristy areas but in MAdrid we tried more out of the way places and usually paid 1/4 the price and got the same stuff. Sometimes a dive isn't a dive once you venture inside.

Old May 31st, 1998, 01:25 PM
Tony

Donna -- I tried e-mailing you but it was returned undeliverable. You might want to check on it.

First, thanks for your helpful advice. I have some specific questions:

What is info on you favorite Venice hotels, includin fax nos?

Also, if you have specific hotel and restaurant reccomendations for Cote c'Azur, Provence, or the Amalfi Coast, please let me know. Would you stay in Capri over a town like Positano or Ravello? Any favorite Capri hotels/restaurnats you would recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Old Jun 11th, 1998, 11:24 PM
Floyd Palomino

Hello, I will be travelling to Florence, Italy on July 20th. I would like to know which places one should visit if you are only staying for 4 days. I really don't want to see only the tourist spots. I would like the four days to be fulfilling. I would like to see as much as is possible within those days without killing myself. Thanks. <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 01:47 PM
perran

I've read your correspondence about managing well on the 100 dollar and would like to request some help. I'm also trying to organize 10 days in Italy with my husband and I would really appreciate info about the 60 dollar place in venice including fax/phone/e-mail. Any other hotel tips for rome and florence would also be very welcome <BR>Thank you very much <BR>Perran

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 09:21 AM
Donna

Floyd, <BR> <BR>Florence in four days is perfect. My personal preference would be as follows Day #1 - Uffizi (Book a reservation now for this museum. It's difficult to get in and I hate waiting in that long, long line.) Next, the Accademia. Then I would walk up to the Michaelangelo Piazza to see the sunset. Day #2 Take the bus or train to Siena and spend a leisurely day there seeing what interests you but mostly just taking a walk around that beautiful city. Day #3 Take the Thomas Cook Walking tour then spend some time at the Duomo. For exercise walk up Giotto's Tower to get that amazing view of the Duomo - (It's better to walk up the tower instead of the duomo so you can get the dome in your view.) Then head over to the Palazzo Vecchio. <BR>Day # 4 Take the train to the Tower of Pisa. I didn't think I was interested in seeing it but my hubby talked me into it and I had a great time. It does lean and now I've seen it. We had a nice time exploring the back streets of Pisa and had a terrific picnic on the grounds of the leaning tower. I hope my suggestions can be of some help.

Old Jun 16th, 1998, 10:31 AM
alan cragg

i will be in Barcelona for a meeting in early Dec. <BR>I would like to spend about a week seeing some of Spain. I will rent a car and am interested in the possibility of stayig in some Paradors (sp?) What should we try to see? I am taking my grandchildren - ages 5, 9, & 12) Not on a budget.

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 09:11 PM
Bill Sikorski

I'll be honeymooning in Italy and Greece for July and part of August and except for a few splurges we'll be trying budget hotels and hostels. Did you have all your hotels booked before you went or did you book some there. I'm also interested in a good recommendation in Venice. I'm getting worried as most places I've tried are booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -