Back from 2 weeks in Spain....

Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:16 AM
Paula

Back from 2 weeks in Spain....

Back from 2 weeks in Spain--Marbella, Granada, Servilla, Madrid, Toledo, Nerja, and Barcelona. Would be glad to answer any questions you might have (if I can).
E- mail,
Paula
at [email protected]

Apr 22nd, 2002, 11:28 AM
firas

Hi Paula
Any good day trips from BCN? Is montserrat worth it?
Where did you stay in BCN and MAD?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:53 AM
Chris

Paula,
Any restaraunts worth recommending in Barcelona?
Thanks,
Chris

Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:05 AM
John H

Hi, Paula,

Where did you stay in Granada and how did u like those accommodations?

Thanks.

john

Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:41 AM
Heather

Welcome home! We're going in May/June to those same cities -- but we've heard mixed reviews of Marbella -- was it worth it?

Don't know which one is better -- Marbella or Malaga???

Thanks.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 09:02 AM
Frank

Where did you stay in Madrid? Any recommendations??

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:03 PM
Paula

In answer to your questions...
The first week we stayed in Marbella and used it as a base to see Granada, Nerja, and Ronda. We have a Marriott timeshare and stayed at the Marriott Marbella which was fantastic--especially the staff who were more helpful to us than any place else we stayed in Europe. The Costa del Sol is a bit touristy, but the old town or Marbella is charming and it's a good base for day trips. (Also good if you like the beach.) In Madrid we stayed at the Hotel Europa which I wouldn't recommend except for the location and price, and in Barcelona at the Hotel Continental which was well located and had a great dog--a Great Pyamese. I loved Barcelona--especially the Gaudi architecture (don't miss Casa Mila and Parc Guell)--and one of my favorite restaurants of the trip was there--La Dolca Herminia at Magdalenes 27,--wonderful and inexpensive food AND they have a non-smoking section!!!--a real rarity in Europe. Also, I would highly recommend the flamenco show at Los Gallos in Servilla if you're going there--which you should--it's a wonderful city--don't miss the Santa Crus area, Cathedral, and Plaza de Espana.
I'd also recommend making train reservations in advance from the U.S. if you're using a Eurail pass and don't rent from Hertz (I've heard Europcar is good and we've had good luck in the past in Europe with Avis.)
Have a great trip,
Paula

Apr 24th, 2002, 02:39 AM
maria

Paula,

I am interested in why you say don't rent from Hertz. I am getting a rail/auto pass through Rail Eurupe and they have my car booked through Hertz and not Avis. (The price would have been the same for either.) Did you have bad luck or something? Thanks and tell us more details about your trip!

Apr 24th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Paula

Hi,
If you can still change your reservation to Avis, I would recommend it. We rented from them in Italy and had no problems. The trouble we had with Hertz is a long story, but basically, our train reservations were changed and they said on their contract that they would stay open later to accommodate such changes, but they refused to, and because of that we had to take a bus to get to an airport to get the car which was very confusing, cost extra time and money, and basically, they acted in bad faith. I'd be happy to answer any other questions re. our trip...
Paula

Apr 24th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Nikki

Did you stay in Toledo, and if so, where? Would you recommend Marbella over Nerja?

Thanks much. I appreciate your help.

Apr 24th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Paula

We stayed at a fabulous place in Toledo--Hotel del Cardenal--would highly recommend it. It's right by the old city wall, has charm and is very reasonably price. Has a pretty good restaurant too. As for Nerja v. Marbella--Nerja is less touristy. The caves are amazing and the Balcony of Europe is nice.
Have a great trip,
Paula

Apr 26th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Nikki

Thank you, Paula!

Apr 26th, 2002, 06:10 AM
linda

Paula, I have a question regarding Toledo. So many people love it and say not to miss it, many also talk about how touristy it is. It seems that it must be a very special city to be so well loved and so well frequented. How would you describe it? Is it not to be missed? I have long been curious about Hotel del Cardenal, thank you for the mention of it.

Thanks Paula,
linda

Apr 26th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Jean Valjean

Hi.

Just my 0.02 about Toledo. It is a touristy place. There are a lot of souvenir vendors all over the place (basically armors, swords and mosaics), a lot of day-trippers (many people recommend staying the night to see Toledo w/o tourists).

However, the city is just amazing. Just the sight of the old city surrounded by walls with huge stone carved coats of arms at the gates justify the trip. The sights in Toledo are equally amazing. The Cathedral is beautiful, the Alcazar looks very impressive, a lot of El Greco's paintings, a couple of synagogues, and a very interesting mix of Catholic, Jewish and Moorish buildings.

Apr 26th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Debbie

Paula, You mentioned making your reservations for trains here in the US-what routes did you find especially crowded? Also, I am booked for hotel Europa because it was inexpensive and other fodorites have said good things-did you find it run down? Should I book somewhere else? I have 7weeks in Europe and so I wanted to go budget where I could. thanks for the info.

Apr 26th, 2002, 07:58 AM
linda

Thanks Jean Valjean!

linda

Apr 26th, 2002, 12:56 PM
ttt

ttt

Apr 26th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Paula

First, Linda--re. Toledo...I think Jean answered your question really well. We were only there overnight and I wish I had spend more time there. Also, I would use the Hotel del Cardenal as a base in the future--it waa really incredible.
Debbie, As far as The Hotel Europa in Madrid...it seems I'm in a minority and a lot of people like it. I think it would have been fine for me when I was travelling as a student, but I'm over 50 now and my husband and I both have bad backs, and the matresses were not firm enough for us (nor did they have boards to put under them when we requested such.) Besides, Madrid was not my favorite city. I felt it was worth going for the Prado and Sophia, but in the future, I would do that as a side trip from Toledo.
As far as train reservations go--you didn't say when you would be travelling. Maybe some months are worse than others. I've had very good luck on trains in Europe in the past, but this time was really a bummer. Especially bad was from Servilla to Madrid and Montpellier to Nice.
Hope this helps. Have a great trip.
Paula

Apr 26th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Leonardo

I strongly recommend to insist on a DIESEL car ,specially if you planned a long journey,gasoline is very expensive in Europe

Apr 28th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Paula

Leonardo,
Good suggestion. We had a diesel car and it saved a lot of $.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO