Back from 2 weeks in Italy

Sep 26th, 2001, 04:02 PM
linda

Back from 2 weeks in Italy

Just got back from Italy.
Arrived in Rome and got our rental car and headed to Assisi for 3 nights ( my firends family is there). Assisi is a beautiful town, you should stay there as it is even better at night when the crowds die down and you can stroll through the streets.
From there we headed to Monterossa in Cinque Terre, here we stayed 3 nights in Baia, a great location close to the car park and across from the beach.
Next we drove to Orvieto via Sienna where I would return on my next visit. We had lunch in Sienna and toured around a while then took a smaller road to Orvieto and the drive though Tiscany was breathtaking. We were constantly pulling over to admire the view and take a picture.
We spent Saturday night in Orvieto and had a great time, probably due to the locals we met and had too many drinks with...
On Sunday we drove to Positano and made the mistake to driving to salerno on the highway then comming up the Amalfi coast, bad move.
The drive is challenging from Salerno to Positano as this is the smaller and more difficut of the coastal drive. Once we got to Positano it was easy compared to where we came from.
3 great days in Positano, with a day trip to Pompeii then we were off to capri for 2 nights. As was suggested on this site it is better to stay overnight and appreciate it without all the crowds, during the busy times we would walk along the trails.
We then headed for the busy and lound city of Rome. Don't get me wrong, I love visiting Rome, but after 2 weeks in smaller towns listening to the sound of the ocean, the sounds of Rome are overwhelming.
If you have any questions just let me know and I will help as much as possible.
Ciao
Linda

Sep 26th, 2001, 04:49 PM
deb

Linda,

Thanks for the report. We are leaving in 2 weeks (Rome, Tuscany & Venice. The the majority of our trip will be in Tuscany, near Siena. It's good to hear you thought Tuscany was as beautiful as we've heard. We'll be biking through the Chianti region and expect many stops to rest, admire landscape & of course take pics.

We're then renting a car and driving to Venice. We also like to end our vacations in a less hectic place and we're hoping Venice fits the bill.

DFW 9/26/01

Sep 26th, 2001, 05:51 PM
john g

Dear Deb: You might be disappointed with Venice being less hectic. My mother just returned on Sunday and she said Venice was so overrun with tourists that she couldn't stand it. It was wall-to-wall people. She said it was worse than Florence, and you know how crowded Centro gets in September.

Sep 27th, 2001, 06:21 AM
ro

my husband and i did a tour w/globus. we went off on our own in venice. found the back streets, sat in a cafe for a drink, and watched children playing soccer. venice, like every other part of the world, is what you make of it. walk a little further out of the main part of town, and your in a completely different world.

Sep 27th, 2001, 06:54 PM
kathleen

I'm suddenly traveling alone and looking for budget accommodations in Venice and Cinque Terre. Clean and central will work fine for me. Can anyone help?

Sep 27th, 2001, 08:48 PM
Helen Donegan

Hi Linda
I am glad you enjoyed your stay here. I agree with you that Assisi is much better when the crowds have gone.
I always point out to people I am bring around the amount of young people who visit the town. Very often these youths from all over the world join together in the evening and sing - it is very impressive.
It is worth it to make sure you have a hotel room with a view. I remember wakening up in Assisi, opening the shutters, looking across the roofs and over to the countryside beyond - I thought I was in heaven.
You can also get a good a chance to visit your favouite places before the tour coaches arrive (about 10 am) and after they leave (6 pm)

Sep 28th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Dayle

Kathleen, I have stayed at the Albergo Paganelli twice over the last 5 years. It's on the lagoon just past Piazza San Marco. Get off the vaporetto at the San Zachario (SP?) stop. It's not fancy, but the staff is very helpful. It's owned by two elderly brothers who are charming. They do have single rooms with or without bath. I paid $110/night in May 2000, no view, no elevator, breakfast included. Great location, very Venician furniture, bathrooms small but adequate. Try to ignore the tacky tourist souvenier vendors along the Riva dei Sci...(SP?) in front.