Bacharach on Rhine Hotels

Jan 5th, 2002, 05:12 AM
scott

Bacharach on Rhine Hotels

We will be staying in Bacharach on the Rhine in June for two nights with my family of 4. Looking for recommendations on places to stay that would not cost me more that $150 per night for the family. View of Rhine would be great. Tried to book hotel Kranenturm out of Rick Steve's guide but they were already booked for one of the nights. Any suggestions?

Jan 5th, 2002, 06:05 AM
jw

http://www.rheinhotel.de/
Hi, I went to this site and looked under Bacharach to see if I could remember the hotel where I stayed with friends a number of years ago. Alas, they all look alike to me. But they also all look charming. You might want to see for yourself. I do remember that Bacharach was a terrific little town. J.

Jan 5th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Russ

You're fortunate to have "missed out" on the Kranenturm, which is situated inches from the train tracks. 4-bed rooms are a little tough to find in Germany at times. Here are 2 places in town you might try: www.bacharach-rhein.de . The Dettmar does have 4-bed rooms which would run you about $80 with breakfast. But if you want the best view in town, why not sleep in the castle-hostel called Burg Stahleck? Here's a webpage for the place (in German) but check out that view: http://www.djh-info.de/seiten/djh/bacharach/bacharach.htm

There are some family rooms there that would accommodate you with breakfast for about the same price, maybe a little less.

Jan 5th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Joe

Consider the Altkõlnischer Hof which is near your price range. It is also mentioned in one of Rick Steve's books. We have stayed there twice and have enjoyed it.

Jan 5th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Scott

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else have experience with the castle-hostel called Burg Stahleck?

Jan 6th, 2002, 06:11 AM
scott

Any other suggestions for this area or St. Goar?

Jan 6th, 2002, 07:47 AM
bettyk

Scott, don't have much experience in this area, but based on the recommendations of others on this board (and the Karen Brown guide), I have booked a room at the Auf Schoenburg Castle Hotel in Oberwessel for May at around $135 per night. It's right on the Rhine near the Lorelei Rock and looks fabulous. Check out their website (in English)http://www.burghotel-schoenburg.de/. There are other accomodations in the area also if you want to check out http://www.oberwesel.mittelrhein.net/. Good luck.

Jan 6th, 2002, 09:33 AM
oldteacher

Do a search using "Burg Stahleck" and "hostel". You'll come up with lots of first-hand visitor comments on the Bacharach hostel. Here's one site with photos:
http://cba.ksu.edu/org/italy/bacharach.htm

Here's another page of comments: http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...26&EntryID=915

Jan 6th, 2002, 11:50 AM
barbara

We have hiked up to the Burg Stahleck.
Quite a climb. Could never do it now.We stayed at the Kranenturn. Trains didn't bother us. Also stayed at Pension Letties down the street. Lovely lady.
Even cooks your eggs however you want them.

Jan 6th, 2002, 12:14 PM
melissadicicco

Scott-
We stayed at the Hotel Am Markt in St. Goar in July 2001. The hotel was very small, but the accomodations were very nice. The owners were wonderful and very accomodating (did our laundry for a small fee and folded it & put in our room). It is in a great location - close to the train, boat, etc. And the hotel restaurant had very good food.
We also stayed a night at the Shoenburg Castle in Oberwessel, and we LOVED it! I wish we could have afforded more than one night! Our dinner there was among our best in 5 weeks of travel in Europe (cost the same amount as the hotel room though!).

Jan 6th, 2002, 04:37 PM
devona

We stayed at Auf Shoenberg in Oberwessel for three nights in Oct 2000 and couldn't have been more pleased with our choice. We found it to be a great location to explore the Rhine and Mosel valleys from. We opted for the tower room with a balcony and view of the Rhine and were not disapointed. We would not hesitate to return there.
As I recall, the price per night was about $150 with the room upgrade, and of course, breakfast included.

Jan 6th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Mills

Travel a little distance further to delightful Boppard, lots of hotels on the river facing the Lorely on the opposite bank.In October we stayed at the Royal, it had a tiny balcony where we could watch the barges with incredible loads plying the Rhine.

Jan 6th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Lauren

The Kranenturm is very noisy. It is right on the Koblenz-Mainz train line. So, you lucked out when they were full.

Been there, done that and the building shakes everytime a train goes by. It is so hot in summer that you have to keep the windows open to breathe--and then you stay awake all night from the noise.

They have an annex which is up the hill and out of the town which is quiet, but it is a good distance from the town.

Jan 7th, 2002, 02:36 AM
Ladybug

If you do stay in Bacharach, try dinner one night at the Hotel Kranenturn. In May 1996 we stayed in one of the nice little rooms overlooking the train tracks. We used earplugs and did not need to open the windows, so were not bothered by the trains very much. But earplugs are definitely a necessity for those front rooms (we had our own, but the hotel also provided new ones on the bedside table). We enjoyed our stay in the clean, comfortable room, as well as the friendly owner Fatima, the breakfasts (included in room price) and dinners.

Jan 7th, 2002, 05:48 AM
curt

Try the B&B called Pension Lette, just a short way from the hotel Kranenturm. We stayed there and the room we had would have slept four people. Lette is very nice, speaks perfect English, and serves up a nice breakfast. Her rates are good. I do not know if she has a web page but I know Rick Steves lists her in his book. Highly recommend her place in Bacharach.

Jan 7th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Paige

We also stayed at the Altkõlnischer Hof. We had a room on the top floor with a balcony and loved it!

Jan 7th, 2002, 07:44 AM
ellen

I would also highly recommend the Auf Schoenburg in Oberwesel. Be sure to have dinner there at least one night, if you stay. Another hotel in Karen Brown's book that I can recommend is the Hotel Landsknecht right on the river, a bit north of St. Goar. Having dinner right on the water, gazing at the barges going by and the castles on the other side of the river was a delight.

Search this Thread