BA pilots to strike?

Search

BA pilots to strike?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA pilots to strike?

The union representing British Airways pilots is plans a strike authorization vote later this week. Issue is BA's new OpenSkies subsidiary and whether it will pay crew members less. Earliest strike would be in mid-February, but the chances of a strike actually happening are uncertain.

BA pilots have a lot of good media coverage right now...if that has any impact.

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 09:50 PM

It's illegal to strike without a vote, so the results of strike ballots rarely mean much. A positive vote simply gives union negotiators better negotiating tools.

There's been a silly habit on this board recently of people thinking these votes - at airlines, airports or railway companies - mean there's a likelihood of a strike. Over the past two years practically no positive strike vote in the UK transport system has materialised into a strike.

It's when they don't vote you've got to worry. By far the most catastrophic industrial relations foul up in British transport in the past few years was the - illegal, but what can you do - 2005 baggage handlers walkout at BA.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Several strike votes by London's transport workers and by other rail workers resulted in strikes.

While posting word of potential strikes is "silly" to you, to me it seems prudent for overseas travelers to at least be aware of the possibility of interruptions to their long-planned, hard-earned trips to the UK. I've been in that situation and it wasn't fun.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:30 AM

Given there hasn't been a vote for a srike, that no date has been set for a strike even if the vote is positive & that even if a date is set that there will be a strike on that date why panic people beforehand?

Perhaps we should start threads about the possibility of fog closing Heathrow Airport or a plane crashing
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

I think that Fodor's board readers are smart enough to read and evaluate this information; you apparently do not.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is always a good idea not to annoy posters who actually live in the part of the world one intends to visit rather than have a foreign place in their login name.

Two UK posters suggest that the strike ballot is not yet cause for concern. I think I am more inclined to trust their judgement.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:55 AM

Yes, Kids...they are and they did and you've read the results of the "analysis."
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Since the subject is so un-newsworthy, maybe you guys should contact these news organizations and tell them that they're wrong to report on the potential strike:

The Financial Times
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/902c5ebc-c...077b07658.html

Reuters
http://www.reuters.com/article/tnBas...11669720080122
Bloomberg
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...Q&refer=uk
CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/01/22/ba.strike/
The BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7200921.stm
The Guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/...d=networkfront
The Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...strike-122.xml
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM

<<< maybe you guys should contact these news organizations and tell them that they're wrong to report on the potential strike: >>>

Read a few of the articles and they don't mention the potential strike - they do however mention that they are going to have a strike BALLOT. The two aren't the same.

And as some of the articles point out pilots for BA haven't gone on strike since 1980 so I think the chances of a real strike are probably lower than fog at Heathrow, caterers being sacked, some Evil Islamist Plot being discovered or having a plane crash at the end of the runway
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

News updates on potential British Airways strike...which MAY NOT HAPPEN (or it MAY):

Mon, 11 Feb '08
Just In Time To Threaten Holiday Weekend

....pilots at British Airways appear increasingly likely to strike within the next two weeks... a move that could spell trouble for thousands of passengers over the upcoming Easter holiday weekend.

(http://www.aero-news.net)
-----------------------
Pilot strike threatens Easter travel chaos

Easter holiday makers face the threat of flight chaos with BA pilots considering strike action.

(http://www.wimbledonguardian.co.uk)
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 09:54 AM

What if they went on strike and everyone had already made alternative travel plans?
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi, "Chicken Little" here to report that the sky is/may be falling.

86% of British Airlines pilots vote to strike, it was announced today. A strike can start over the next 28 days, with 7 days notice to the airline. A union spokesperson speculated that a series of 2 or 3 day strikes is most likely.

Of course, the airline and the union may reach an accord. Or a strike may take place.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 06:06 AM

From the Times

"The threat of strikes by British Airways pilots appears to have receded after their union and the airline’s management agreed to take their dispute to arbitration (Ben Webster writes). The agreement came at a meeting at BA’s headquarters near Heathrow airport"

I really think BA will back down on this. They have had several major problems over the past few years with baggage handlers, Flight meal companies, fog and most recently computer failures. I do not think they can afford a pilots strike.

This does impact on me directly as I have 4 flights with BA in the next month to 6 weeks.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
BA will likely concede/back down or this will totally screw up the launch of T-5. There will probably be enough glitches opening a new terminal at Heathrow w/o also having to deal w/ a pilots' strike.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to remember that the press in the UK love their little stories so that Princess Di is still having her name dragged through the gutters ten years after her death 'cause a nutter thinks little green men did it.

Everyday there may be a strike, everyday their may be fog. Neither is a reason to cancel trips or replan holidays. There is however a logic to recognise that planning to holiday in envorments where strikes and fog is a regular problem and there is no way around it is a bit odd. Amazingly the most obvious example of this is Paris which must vibrate to strikes almost all day long and yet people love going there.

Now back to the paper and the fact it is safe for street walkers to walk the streets in Ipswich again.

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 11:48 AM

although i agree that a strike is far from assured, the news here in the UK (radio 4 for one) has been doing stories about the potential strike like it's going to happen - lot's of 'what if' scenarios around moving to T5 and there being a strike at the same time....very giddy about it all.

so yes, you must also chastise the british media as you have the OP.

------------------------------

>>>>>>>
rather than have a foreign place in their login name.
>>>>>>>>

far better to put a foreign place in your login name than to put your own country in your login name. that's just obnoxious.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM

We can agree to differ - as a random choice, PatrickLondon merely reflects the name and place of residence, whereas KidstoLondon is merely a reflection of the posters website.

Much as you may dislike Flanner (and sorry if I am mistaking you for somebosy else), his posts on the UK and usually well thought out and correct, this is particularly true in the case of flights in and out of the Country.

Why KTL was genuine in their concern in this posting, their later dismissal of residents of the UK who were trying to point out that a strike was not that likely prompted my rather blunt response.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 06:53 AM

I have a flight tomorrow, CAI-LHR
On Tuesday, LGW-DBV
and then 2 flights on 3/5
DBV-LGW-MAN

I'm more worried about another possible LHR terminal 4 luggage handling system meltdown tomorrow than I'm about a strike.

And if it happens then I'll deal with it.

Voting for strike by majority of union members is nothing more than posturing for a better position at the negotiating table. Each side will bluff, puff, and only when they decide to call the other's bluff the strike may happen. I'm sure it will be well publicized with dates, etc.

YMMV!

Reporting from Cairo