Reload this Page >

B&Bs in the Cotswolds

Search

B&Bs in the Cotswolds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 04:29 AM
Melanie

B&Bs in the Cotswolds

I'm looking for recommendations for a B&B in the Cotswolds area, for Early September 2001. There are four of us, my husband and me plus my parents who are in their 70s. This is our first time to England, and although we want it to be nice, price is a consideration. We would prefer a quiet area (we're not big city people). Any suggestions?

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 04:33 AM
Melanie

Oh, and one other thing: How did you find out about the place?

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 05:44 AM
steve

I stayed twice in the past 2 years at Oxstalls B&B in Stratford. Might be a little too close to a city (if that is what Stratford is). Vwery nice people, moderate cost. Found it the first time just stopping in. It is a horse farm. <BR> <BR>Also stayed at Fairford in the south edge of the Cotswolds (on the RAF base). That area is very nice and less crowded than the more famous areas, yet very convenient. Another town I went thru that looks pleasant is Northleach - has a very nice 'Wool church' and Lechlade steeple mentioned in a poen by Shelly)

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 12:22 PM
Ken Horn

Melanie- I stayed at the Forge in Churchill in August. 50 pounds per nite for 1 or 2 persons. They let me use their fridge for food and beverages. It is really a bedroom town with no stores. It is probably 5 miles to the nearest town with resturants, banks, etc. I found it through a site www.smoothound.co.uk <BR> which lists a lot of B & Bs with pictures, descriptions, prices, etc. Then I contacted the B & B directly. <BR> <BR>I must tell you that I found the Cotswolds overrated, but I must also admit that prefer the action available in larger cities. Have a good time-

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Ginny

How long do you plan on being there? I love the Cotswolds. Have you considered self-catering? My family and I have done that the last few years and we find it to be a much better deal than B&B or Inns which we have done in the past as well. They were all wonderful, but on a trip in 95 to the Cotswolds we stumbled upon a group of cottages in a small village called Stanton. The village itself is small, no stores just a local pub, very quaint and peaceful, about 5 miles by car to Broadway where there are shops. The cottages vary in size and are former stables to a Manor house and have every convenience and comfort of home. If B&B's are really what you want there is a book you can get at the local library called The Best B&B, England, scotland and Wales that has a wonderful selection. We used it as well on earlier trips.

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 10:49 AM
Melanie

Ginny: Thanks for the self-catering suggestion. We have kicked that around. We will be there for at least seven days, and maybe a couple days longer. It seemed to us that the price difference between a B&B and SC would end up being the meals we ate in or out. About the only reason we decided to go B&B instead of self-catering was simply because we figured that we would be more apt to just eat out wherever we were site-seeing, rather than go back and fix a meal. <BR> <BR>I've been looking through the Smooth Hound web site quite a bit for B&Bs, and I have a catalog from Rurual Retreats for self-catering. <BR> <BR>I welcome anyone else's ideas on this, pro or con, since we've never done this type of vacation before. <BR>

Old Dec 29th, 2000, 03:30 PM
Ginny

Message: Melanie: I hope you don't mind my adding a few more +'s for self-catering. As for price, we found it to be a much better value and less expensive than B&B, Inns, etc. Example; 8 nights at a cottage in the town of Whitchurch(Shropshire) for 5 people cost less than the 2 nights we stayed at a small hotel in London at the end of one of our trips(Sept 99) The cottage had 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, full kitchen, dining room and sitting/living room. We can pack light since we have either a washer and dryer in the cottage or a laundry facility on the property of the cottages. I know doing laundry on a "vacation" is not for everyone but it was not a bother for us and we weren't doing it every day. You can also still eat out as much as you want, but it was nice to have the kitchen and stock up on individual favorites for just relaxing in the evenings without having to find a vending machine or call room service. Also, after a long day out and about it was nice to come back to more than just a room. Getting up in the morning and putting on a pot of coffee(or tea) and relaxing and reading was great. I could go on and on. This past Sept. I went to Ireland and Wales with my mother and 90 yr. old grandmother and did self-catering in both places and it's amazing how much more relaxed we are at the beginning and end of the day. You do have to do some research as far as what they supply(linen, towels, heat etc.) at no aditional charge, we never had a problem with that either. Have fun!

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 05:55 AM
steve

If you are going to be in the area for Saturday to Saturday, then self catering is the best value by far. Check the English national tourist site. It takes some awkward navaigating, but you can eventually get past the 'featured' accomodations and get to lists of accomodations by town

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 06:03 AM
Lori

Melanie, <BR>As many have said self-catering is really a much better deal, you end up with a lot more room for one thing! We've done it (altho not in the Cotswolds) and love it. Trust me, I don't "cook" on vacation, but it is great having a kitchen or snacks, and the occasional meal in (after a long hard day of sightseeing, picking up something at a local store can be great). having a washer/dryer is also a blessing, you can take less. I don't do a lot of wash on vacation, but it sure can come in handy. We always ate breakfast in and lunch out - dinners were sort of split between in and out. Just having the extra room is the biggest plus tho. Check out all the fine print carefully if you go this route, be careful to note if they include bed linens, towels, etc. (some more or less cater to UK folks who are driving and bring their own), be sure what time you can get the key also. Also find out about heating (can be cool in Sept.) fees and elec. Some are included and some are by the unit. The National Trust has some nice properties but they tend to be more restrictive in booking, i.e. 7 days must start on Sat. or some such thing. <BR>The Cotswolds are pretty but VERY VERY touristy we found and therefore prefer other areas of England, but I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you do. Another thought, stay in one of the larger towns and take day trips (I am assuming you will have a car). We spent a week in Salisbury one time and it was great - there was a town all around us for shopping, walking, eating, but we could get out quickly to take in various sights very easily.