B & B's in Italian cities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone out there had any experience with B&B's in Italian cities such as Florence, Venice, Rome, Naples? How are they different than B&B's in N. America? Cost-wise are they any less expensive than mid-priced hotels? Anything we should know in particular?
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 11:12 AM

We do a lot of B&B's in both N.America and Italy . On the whole, I'd be more cautious of Italian B&B's. There's alot of folks with a room or two to rent in those cities. Many of them are way below what most B&B travellers are accustomed to.
That said, you need to consider prices and reviews in places like Fodor's.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 11:54 AM
rex

Generally speaking, the agroturismo &quot;industry&quot; is thriving in Italy, and can offer you a B&amp;B experience that might not be found so similarly in cities. You mention &quot;mid-priced&quot; hotels - - but there are some operfctly fine <i>small</i> hotels in each of these cities. See www.eurocheapo.com

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 12:16 PM

I had a great B&amp;B in Florence recently - not ensuite but thoroughly clean, cable TV, spotless shower/WC shared with one other room, and huge buffet breakfast served in my room - family lived there as well but it was as private as a hotel. I can't remember name but i posted this B&amp;B a few months ago here. Price was about $40 for a single but that was in January - i had a room for two at a price for one - won't happen in summer i think. Was about a mile from the train station in a nice residential area of town. They also had one ensuite (wc/douche in room) room i believe.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 12:33 PM

A really nice B&amp;B in Venice is Palazzo Duodo, just off Calle dei Fabbri (San Marco). There are 3 suites, each with a large bathroom (we had the Green Suite and the large room with antique Venetian furniture had 3 windows and the bathroom had 2, all with canal and rooftop views. It is very clean too. There is an elevator as it is on the 3rd floor (4th if you count the ground floor). There is a large communal salon, and a dining room where the maid serves you breakfast. Pictures are on the website, www.palazzoduodo.com

We paid 90 euros a night for the room including breakfast, but this was a year or so ago. I felt we had much better value for money than if we had stayed at a hotel with a similar quality of furnishings and views, and standard of service (although its not 24 hour). It's also nice to have your own front door key. The only negative is that you have to collect the key from a hotel off Campo Manin (very close by and owned by the same people), which is a bit of a nuisance if you arrive late at night as we did, but you can leave your luggage there when you check out, which is a positive.

Anyway, I can thoroughly recommend it.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 12:47 PM

We stayed at the &quot;B&amp;B in Piazza della Signoria&quot; in Florence. It's pretty expensive (for us anyway) about 220-275e per night. Lovely hotel, wonderful communal breakfast in an beautifully decorated room that overlooks the Piazza. I think that you can find B&amp;Bs at all price ranges.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 01:09 PM

What do you consider a B&amp;B? We stayed in &quot;B&amp;Bs&quot; with a nice breakfast buffet included in the price...they were the size of a small hotel, they weren't private homes...

Hotel Silla is a family-owned B&amp;B in florence. We stayed there and I recommend them.

Pensione Accademia is a small-to-mid-sized hotel/B&amp;B in Venice and I highly recommend it...we paid around 180 euros for our double room last June 2004...

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 03:21 AM
ira

Hi S,

Are you looking for recommendations?

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Julia - can you describe the bathroom at Palazzo Duodo? Specifically, are there showers with curtains/doors or just tubs? Thanks
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 06:29 AM

We stayed in a lovely gem of a hotel (which had breakfast included - and what a breakfast it was!!) in Santa Margherita Ligure, near Portofino. It was outstanding and very reasonable! I highly recommend it!
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 11:41 AM

Yes, it was definitely the Green Suite at Palazzo Duodo I stayed in.

The bathroom was large, had 2 large windows having the same canal view as the bedroom. It had a large bath with shower over - I am almost certain there was a shower curtain, but I enjoyed luxuriating in the bath and can't fully recall. There was also a toilet, basin and bidet - great for washing and cooling the feet after a long day tramping round la Serenissima!

Being so high up, you could sit on the toilet and gaze out over the rooftops and campanile - glorious.

I didn't see the other 2 suites so cannot describe the bathrooms, but the one we had was infinitely superior to the poky little one in the large Venetian apartment I rented earlier this year, and also very much better than the 4 different hotel bathrooms I used in France a couple of weeks ago.

I see from the website they have a special offer for summer 2005 of 100 euros per suite for 2 people, up to 150 euros for 4 people. I don't know when you plan to go, but even though the prices will be higher in the autumn and spring, I think that cost-wise it will be much better value than a mid-price hotel. After all, that was why I went there in the first place!

The person who organised the bookings was based at the hotel and spoke and wrote very good English, so why not e-mail or call him (assuming he is still there of course) and ask about shower curtains? Phone, fax and e-mail info on the website, www.palazoduodo.com