Old Apr 9th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B & B's Connemara?

Favorite B & B's in Connemara area?
Thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 01:11 AM

One I liked is a GuestHouse rather than a B&B. It's called An Chiebh and it's very close to tha Aran Island Ferry in Ross a'Veal: Trad Irish music Friday nights and what I call Irish Country & Western Thursdays. There's a photo of in on my http://groups.msn.com/gate5

Coming west from Galway the road turns after Spiddal and it's right after the curve. The Manager calls herself 'Brid.' She has spent some time in the U.S.

I arrived there on a Thursday after my flight to Shannon: took a nap and got up for the music; played golf Friday morning at Connemara Isles, took a nap in the afternoon and got up for the music. It was a good plan.
Old Apr 10th, 2004, 05:41 AM

good,

You won't soon forget a visit to Fermoyle Lodge, located in a very remote part of Connemara, 30 miles from Galway City.

Fermoyle is run by a personable, welcoming couple (she's a Brit; he's Swiss). Their accommodation is a Victorian sporting lodge, featuring six-rooms and first-rate cuisine from a dining room that offers striking views of the Connemara hills. After dinner you'll want to stroll down to a nearby lake that'll make you feel as if you have all of Connemara to yourself. Nice.

Learn more at www.fermoylelodge.com
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Buttermilk Lodge in Clifden was really great. Beautiful house and a wonderful hostess (Catriona). I'd strongly recommed it. Clifden was a nice, relaxing town, too.
Old Apr 12th, 2004, 06:39 PM

Again, this is not a B&B, but we ate lunch at Ballynahinch Castle and have always wanted to go back and stay there. I don't think it's over the top expensive.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 05:48 AM

We stayed in Mallmore House, just outside of Clifden. The room was large and comfortable. Clifden is a wonderful small town with great music in the pubs.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 10:19 AM

57 BelAire - We have reservations for Mallmore House in May. What was the "charm" level? Was the place clean, and how was breakfast? What was the parking situation? Any further impressions you can share? We are trying to decide between Mallmore House and The Quay House (two very different types of place, I know) so any additional info you can provide would be appreciated!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 02:59 PM

Cheesehead: Mallmore House is outside of town, so parking was no problem. We were there in June, so it was quite nice with the garden in bloom. I've stayed at lots of B&Bs in Ireland, and Mallmore House is one of my favorites.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 06:25 AM

The Dun Ri guesthouse in Clifden is wonderful. Price is great and the rooms are very nice. It is in town so walking to eat etc. is helpful.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 07:31 AM

We have stayed at the Quay House in Clifden twice and love it. Paddy and Julia Foyle are gracious and knowledgable hosts. We have stayed in what they call the studios--huge rooms with sitting area, little french doors opening over the river, great bathrooms and a little kitchenette--great for storing the late afternoon wine and cheese. Quay House is an easy walk into town (five minutes to the very center). Parking is not a problem. Obviously, we love it and would return in a minute!!

Clifden is also just a great spot to use as a base---good restaurants and pubs and easy to get to all the surrounding highlights. Enjoy Connemara.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:40 AM

HappyCheesehead,

Parking is never a problem in the countryside. All B&B's have parking and usually a large driveway for this.

I second the Buttermilk Lodge. I stayed there last August (No booking just knocked on the door!) and it was very nice and a quickwalk to town. You really can't go wrong with most places around the area.