Search

B&B Vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Danielle

B&B Vouchers

It sounds as if most of you find it easier not to use vouchers, but at least for now (because of my budget) I am planning to use them. I will be traveling in Ireland the first week in March, flying into and out of Shannon. I would first like to know if I should make all my reservations in advance, or just the first night. Second, I was wondering if anyone has any Voucher B&B recommendations in Doolin, Galway, Cork, Dingle or near the Ring of Kerry. Thank you in advance for any help!

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Nancy

Danielle <BR> <BR>We went to Ireland last year & used vouchers all the way because we were new to the country, so unsure about housing. Only made reservation for first night, then winged it the rest of time. You will have no trouble finding a place to stay. There are B&B signs posted everywhere. We would get into a village, city, town & call (using our B&B book) to see about room. Sometimes we just went up & knocked. Only a fewry few places would not accept our vouchers. <BR> <BR>This year (leaving Mar 21) we are going on our own & will try inns, guest houses, etc. <BR> <BR>Really can't think of any one special one. I'd have to get out the journal I kept. They were all nice, very clean & had such friendly ladies running them. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. I am excited about going again. <BR> <BR>Nancy

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Howard

Unless you are budgeting to spend more than is necessary, do not get the vouchers. They cost more than making your own reservations. As far as I can figure, there is no benefit to getting the vouchers - there are only downsides - cost more, and you are limited as to where you can stay. If someone can explain why vouchers are beneficial, I'd be happy to read why. (I know they are very popular - that does not make them good.)

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Danielle

Nancy, <BR>Did you find that there were more B&B's accepting vouchers than listed in your book? I have the town and country book, and while it seems like a lot, i wonder if i should check with others that aren't in the book. <BR>Thank you, <BR>Danielle

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 03:30 PM
Nancy

Danielle <BR> <BR>We did find other B&B's not listed in our Town & Country book. You will have no trouble finding a place to say out of the book with your vouchers. <BR> <BR>The few we found that didn't accept vouchers were sometimes a little more upscale. But....there was nothing wrong with the ones in the book. All very nice. One evening we hadn't made called ahead & one we stopped at wasn't listed in book. I just went up to door & told her we had vouchers & would she accept them. She said she would & that she would just trade it with a friend who owned a B&B. She was one of the nicest people & we sat at the breakfast table the next morning & had the longest chat with she & her husband! <BR> <BR>I wouldn't worry about trying to find others not in the book. (We used vouchers only because they were part of our fly & self-drive package.) <BR> <BR>As I said, this year we're on our own because we know it'll be cheaper. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. You'll love Ireland.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 04:01 PM
David

Don't get the vouchers. It's cheaper just to do it yourself. You won't have any trouble finding accommodation in March. If you were going in June, I would suggest reservations. Also, if you're going to Dublin, book ahead. But outside of Dublin, you'll be spoiled for choice.