B&B rooms for three?

Feb 4th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

B&B rooms for three?

My two nieces and I are planning a driving trip in Ireland in May. In order to economize, we'd like to share one room. Will finding B&B's that have rooms accomodating three adult women be a problem?
Thanks for your input.
Feb 4th, 2004, 09:04 PM

A few years ago when our daughter graduated from college (first in her class!!) we decided to take her to France with us for a month. We had already made all our reservations so I called, faxed or wrote to all the different places and asked if we could include her or if it was necessary to make other arrangements.

They were all very nice and either gave us a room for three or put a cot in our room. Only one actually charged us extra for this. They were very accomodating.

I think if you book a room for three, you will have no trouble (in any country). I've not been to Ireland so may be off the mark, but I'm sure someone on this forum will gladly correct me.
Feb 4th, 2004, 09:14 PM

What you want to look for is a "family room". These will usually have a double bead and 1 or 2 twin beds, and sometimes just 3 single beds. They are not hard to fine but not every B&B has them so it will take a little bit of searching.
Feb 5th, 2004, 01:00 AM

B&Bs in Britain and Ireland normally charge per person. Hotels that charge per room normally charge extra for breakfast. B&Bs generally charge a bit extra for a single room, but otherwise the price is per person. Thus, sharing one room may not save much. When you go to a B&B, tell them how many people you are, and they might offer a room with three beds or two rooms, but the price will be much the same.
Feb 5th, 2004, 04:22 AM

A third person will always cost more. Remember they are feeding you breakfast. Most of the places where we have stayed, charge per person. The others that charge a flat rate per room, base the rate on double occupancy adding a smaller amount for a third person.
Feb 5th, 2004, 08:16 AM

When I traveled in Ireland with my two sisters, we had no trouble finding B&B accommodation for three, either a "family room" with a double and a single bed, or a double room plus a single room for very little more, because of the per person pricing structure. We kept costs down, but each enjoyed having a private room every few days.
Feb 5th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Depending on the pricing, it will usually be a bit less expensive to get a family room just because of the upcharge for a single. Some websites will tell you which B&Bs have family rooms. Unfortunately, T&C doesn't but family homes does.

http://www.family-homes.ie

Bill
Feb 6th, 2004, 05:30 PM

In Dublin you can get a triple room at Jury's Christchurch in for about 113 euro a night for the room. (They don't charge per person.)

You may also want to consider self-catering cottages. They usually sleep at least 4. Check out www.hiddenhr.com
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:20 PM

I travelled as a third a couple of years ago and we were always able to find a room to accomodate. They do charge for the extra person though.
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:41 AM

Many B&Bs have triples... check out http://www.TownAndCountry.ie to find a good triple B&B.

This site lists # rooms ensuite, the # people they accommodate, etc.

Sometimes you'll get two beds, sometimes 3... but at least it fits three comfortably.

Most B&Bs charge PER PERSON, not PER ROOM. This is due to breakfast (the second part of B&B) included... more people, more food required... more prep time, etc.

Cheers,
Christopher
http://www.EnchantingIreland.com
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:13 PM

Christopher:

I looked at T&C and randomly picked Dingle. I can't find anywhere on the page (without going to an individual website) as to how many people each room will accommodate. Can you tell me where that information is?

Bill
Feb 18th, 2004, 04:52 PM

You need to look at each specific B&B's site to see exactly the number and types of rooms they offer.
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Yes, you have to go to there homepage (if they have one. I can't see where T&C lists that info.

Bill