Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

B&B recommendations in Fort William, Spean Bridge area of Scotland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for your personal and good recommendations for B&Bs, Guest Houses etc in the Ft. William vicinity and north or even south to Ornich. Thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 02:13 AM

We are planning a trip to the same spot (doing some fishing hopefully in Spean Bridge area) and need the same information. Seems like a good place to stay (on the West Highland line) and out of Fort William.

When are you going? (end of May for us)
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:58 AM

try this one just outside Spean Bridge - I haven't stayed there but friends did a couple of years ago and said it was very nice. www.faegour.co.uk/home.htm

I personally wouldn't stay in Ft William.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Just outside of Fort William is a charming B&B, Woodside: http://www.woodsidefortwilliam.co.uk/

Besides enjoying the great view of Ben Nevis, you can take a 1- or 2-mile hike out back down to the River Nevis.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:07 PM

Fort William is a no no. Honestly. Please take my word for it.

The Old Pines just outside Fort William gets a great name. We've tried to stay there, but so far, always failed
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 12:51 AM

mari
Having the same problem, but have settled on Foyers Bay House on the east side of Loch Ness and not overfar from Fort William - its description is very pretty. I have further detail if required.
Steve
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Sheila.....In regard to your message reply....what in the world could be wrong with Fort William for a quick one night stopover at a highly rated, excellent reviewed B&B?(we're booked) We couldn't get a room in the Spean Bridge area (holiday weekend), and closer to Ft. William OR even south around Onich??....Most of the l0 different accommodations of our trip are in small lovely areas, or "good weekend hotel deals" in a couple of cities... (Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Blair Atholl, Contin, Inverary etc.(plus York, Durham, Berwick,."below the border" &gt
What is it about Ft William you don't like?....couldn't be that bad for one night. This is our fifth trip to Scotland, are of Scottisih heritage, and more than half the fun is in the planning..(my hobby),
We are Americans, and I have enjoyed
your insites and comments on Fodors.
Thanks....
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Sheila and I have about the same opinion of Ft William so maybe I can help.

Basically there is nothing TERRIBLE about the place - there's just not much good about it. The town is simply a mass of B&Bs with VERY congested traffic on the A82 through and beyond the town. As a sort of emergency stop because you can't find anywhere else - it would be OK.

But you say this is a holiday weekend - the congestion all along the A82 will likely be BAD with bumber to bumper traffic slowed down even more by the caravans and tour coaches.

You will be enroute from where to where on this stopover? Maybe we can suggest a better location. But if Ft William it is, then go ahead and stay there. Just get an early start the next morning to beat the crowds.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 12:25 AM

You're quite right. It's not that bad. It's just not good. And, heavens, has it got better!!?

It's in a lovely location totally spoiled by the issues of the dmeand economy of teh 1950s and 60s. Big aluminium mill and big pulp mill- both now history- and Aviemore style architecture.

Good things- view. The fish restaurant on the pier. Fantastic old style grocer's shop in the High Street. Really nice stationers with books about the area at the other end of the High Street. Ummm. That's it, Ed.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Janis& Sheila.. re: Ft.William..Thanks for your comments. We carefully planned this trip so to avoid the week before Easter and the week after (spring school break). Now it turns out the the last of our two week vacation falls on May Day weekend. Is that a biggie or not? Would A82 still be balled up?. We are early birds (VERY early), and this would be Friday starting the weekend.
Anyway...you asked from where to where we would be going. This would be from outside Inverness in Contin,(day trip to Dornach etc) to Inverary the second night (Saturday).(stopping in Ft. William Friday night, or it may not be necessary!) Or we Could do that in one day, right?.(Inverness to Inverary) Then we are headed forthe Glasgow area and a flight out on Tues. We are coming to the Contin area from Blair Atholl, so don't want to take THAT route again. We have been in years past twice to Skye ,and the Kyle of Loclash to Ft. Augusta route. Have driven the south side of Loch Ness, AND also have been to Oban twice. There are not truly many major routes through Scotland in that Western part, is there?
We COULD stay at a lovely place west of Inchree (near Corian, 4 min by ferry),..but just thought Ft. William would be a good "stopover". Perhaps it is not necessary, HOWEVER we will still be "involved" with the A82, no matter what. TRULY, is there THAT much traffic out and about on May Day weekend??? It is not a big weekend here in the U.S., but it often IS in UK, I think. THANKS
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 07:32 PM

The first and last weekends in May are Bank holidays in both England and Scotland. In my experience the worst crowds tend to be over the last weekend - you may luck out traveling over the earlier holiday. But in any case you just about have to take the A82, so you'll make the best of it.

That should probably be Corran - That is a lovely area.