Search

B&B in Brugge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 01:25 PM
pip
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B in Brugge

Has anyone stayed at the De Loft, Absoluut Verhulst, or The Geerwijn? If so did you enjoy your stay?
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Read the Rick Steves message board on "Heroic B&B Friendliness" http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti25.html

Absoluut Verhulst has gotten MANY (many) compliments.

I know you probably don't care, but I decided to stay here in May:
http://www.bedandbreakfastbruges.com/
I have also stayed at Chris Deloof which was LOVELY! ...

But out of YOUR 3 choices, I would absolutely pick Absoluut
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:07 PM

Another vote for Absoluut Verhulst. Haven't stayed there but I, too, have read many good reviews about it.

I'm sorry to say that my husband and I had a horrible experience at Chris DeLoof's B&B. We were given the top yellow room with dirty carpet (it really looked gross) and bedding. Plus, cobwebs on the ceiling and thin towels.

Also, Chris DeLoof's husband was infuriatingly weird. On our second day, he asked us what room we were in. We answered very nicely and even showed him the key when his face registered doubt (weird, really). After breakfast, before leaving for a daytrip to Brussels, he asked us again our room and he was so unpleasant about it. How exasperating! Another guest also found it weird that he was asking us that way. Unfortunately, Chris wasn't there in those instances.

On our last day, when we gave him back the key, he was surprisingly pleasant and even asked us our next destination.

Among the 7 B&B's/hotels we stayed in last autumn, Chris DeLoof's was, needless to say, the worst; all the others were wonderful especially in Bacharach, Vienna, Paris and Amsterdam.

Sorry for such a long post. I just thought I should share with you the details as they might help you decide better. Sometimes, lodging can make or break a holiday. Good luck, and have fun in the beautiful, romantic city of Brugge!=)
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:00 PM

I agree that Absoluut Verhulst has gotten many compliments but because of this they are often full. My daughter was just in Brugge this last weekend and stayed with Robert Van Nevel at his B&B. She said the room was cute, the owners were charming and very helpful with maps, restaurant suggestions and a great breakfast. This B&B has also gotten good recommendations on Rick Steve's message board, http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/graffiti130.html
The website for the B&B is www.brugesbb.com
Have a good trip.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 02:06 AM

pip, also check out Bed and Breakfast Lut and Bruno Setola. It received high marks and good reviews on the tripadvisor website. The B&B's website is www.bedandbreakfast-bruges.com. About 55 Euros for two persons, I think. Whichever B&B you choose to stay in, please post your review when you get back. =)
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 02:47 AM

paula1470,

Now I am EMBARRASSED by mentioning Chris Deloof B&B as "lovely" ... I was thinking of the breakfast(which you have to admit is awesome!) and the great location(and I did have a nice big bedroom -not the most comfortable bed - all to myself with a fridge outside the door and I THINK a private bathroom) ...but the truth is, I ALSO found Mr. Deloof extremely odd and NOT at all friendly when I first checked in -and an odd incident when I checked out. (He seems to be the oddest when she is not there) LOL!

Well, there is a reason why I am staying elsewhere next time ... I just can't figure out why I mentioned it on here, it took your comment to jolt me to reality. ;-)
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 04:30 AM

FromAtlanta, I believe your reply was meant for me.=) Gee, that was funny! LOL! He was extremely odd indeed! But yes, we liked the breakfast and the location which was a short walk to the oh-so-lovely square of Brugge (sigh). I hope pip will have better luck with Lut and Bruno Setola's B&B or with paula1470's suggested B&B.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:41 AM
pip
Original Poster

Thank you everybody for the great recommendations. I have emailed Absoluut Verhulst and Lut and Bruno to gather more information about their B&B and will be staying in one of them (if they have room available).

My wife and I won't be traveling to Brugge until November but I will definetly let everyone know how it goes. This will be our first trip to Europe and are very excited, thats why the planning is so far in advance.

I was really glad to hear from those of you who stayed at Chris DeLoof's. It looked like a nice place and in a very good location but we won't be staying there.

Thanks again for all of the advice.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Unn

We just returned from 2 nights in Brugge at the Number 11 B & B, and it was the nicest experience we've ever had with a B & B or small hotel. Annie & Paul are warm and wonderful hosts, the breakfast in delicious and plentiful, the place is spotless and the location can't be beat, about 1-2 blocks (a 2 min. walk) from the main square. We can't wait to return to Brugge and #11!