B&B Availability

Search

B&B Availability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2024, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B Availability

It's been many years since we've visited Ireland and it may be time to go back. The times we've been there, we have traveled by bicycle and stayed in bed and breakfasts which we would do again. On our previous trips we were always able to roll into a town and search for a b&b with no reservations or prior planning. Always found availability.

My question is, in todays world of online bookings and airBnB's, is it still possible to travel this way or would advance reservations always be required. Of course I understand about certain holidays or areas being busier than others and therefor requiring some planning.

Thanks!
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 05:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
when are you travelling? Which area are you visiting?
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Most likely it would be late June into early July but nothing is set in stone yet.
Our loose plan would be to fly into Shannon, head southwest to the Dingle Peninsula before turning back north. Lahinch, Inishmore, Clifden, Westport, Ballina etc. before returning south to Shannon.
All very loose and we like to have flexibility as opposed to an "itinerary" that must be stuck to.

Thanks
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 06:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it were me, and it isn't, I'd book the weekends in June and all the July dates because Mrs Bilbo likes to travel that way and we don't really care as long as the bed is clean and the room has a shower.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 07:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- June is a bit easier than later in the summer after the schools are out. As bilboburgler says - I'd pre-book any/all Fri and Sat nights and pretty much as far in advance as I could. Even if places aren't full on the weekend, if it ends up looking to be nice weather Irish residents will book everything up last minute.

For weekdays, in very popular areas, not booking you might end up having to hunt or have limited/expensive choices. So at minimum I'd have a list of possible properties and call ahead the day before and book. Since covid there is a huge pent up demand for travel and Scotland/Ireland/scenic parts of England have become very busy.
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 01:27 PM
J62

In my experience booking.com has the best listings for BnBs, small inns, and large hotels across Ireland.