Search

B&B?

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B?

what does B&B mean? Bump up the prices and bump off the visitor?
Old May 15th, 2003, 12:09 AM

It depends where. I have been researching B&B's in Normandy and Brittany using the Gites de France web site and the pages jaunes in various locations, and it appears that many of them would be cheaper than 2 star hotels and include breakfast. But maybe I'll find out that they really are not satisfactory once I get there.
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:14 AM

B&B stands for "bed and breakfast". They are often houses which have been converted for the purposes of having people to stay on a commercial basis. Many farmhouses offer b&b as do seaside resorts. Usually quite basic but you can usually be assured of a warm welcome. Cheaper than most hotels too.
That's what it means in the UK anyway !
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:29 AM

It's kind of a personal response.. Some people prefer the warmth and homelike atmosphere of a B&B (but one usually has to climb stairs with the bags and sometimes share a bathroom)(though nowdays most B&B rooms have private tiny baths)....However, they usually have a delicious breakfast included and wonderful hosts who will help with area questions, and the rooms are usually decorated in a lovely homey way.
Some people prefer to be more independent and stay in a hotel with more privacy,usually larger rooms and beds, elevators,always a bath, etc. Often in the small hotels the breakfast is also included. They , of course range from 1 to 5 stars.(some small hotels are nice and the same price as B&B's.)
After staying in a few nice B&B's we sometimes get a "weekend rate"for a night at a very nice hotel like a Marriott and the rate is often the same or less than a B&B.(We always do this the night before flying home IF it is a WEEKEND as there is more room to "Repack".
So....I guess there advantages and disadvantages of both.
Old May 15th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Depends on where you go -
In Ireland I find it to mean Beautiful & Breakfast too!

We stayed on average , in B&B's all over Ireland for about 35euros per person. Came to about $80USD a night including breakfast for 2 per room. Wouldn't do much better here in the states even at Motel 6, if you include a full breakfast.