Reload this Page >

Avignon to Venice - HELP with Train Travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 08:41 AM
Jessica Kaplan

My husband and I will be travelling from Avignon to Venice on Sept. 28 or 29. 1) Is there a direct route so we can take an overnight train, or must we change trains? Looking for the most direct way, as to spend the most time in these cities as possible. Thank you!!

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 09:44 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jesica, First, answer your own question <BR>at www.raileurope.com. It will give you <BR>the price, the times, and route. I suspect you will go Avignon, Nice, Genoa <BR>Milan, then Venice. You will probably <BR>change in Genoa and Milan. Good luck !

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 09:49 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Ms Kaplan, <BR> <BR>The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Table 90 has the trains you need. I'm afraid there is one change. <BR> <BR>Leave Avignon by the Roget de l'Isle buffet car express at 1618, arrive Nice 2005. <BR> <BR>Leave Nice 2035, arrive Venice Santa Lucia at 0709. This train has 2 and 3 berth sleepers, 6-berth couchettes, and seats. When you step out of Venice Santa Lucia station please pause for a moment to see the view. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 12:44 PM
Al

Ben, you are a gem. Helpful, concise, accurate. Always.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 12:37 AM
Vincent

It seems it is not that easy : here is what I found on the SNCF web site : <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>ALLER <BR>Départ : 28/09 à 08h00 <BR> <BR> <BR> AVIGNON-&gt;VENEZIA <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>VOTRE BILLET ALLER <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Choix 1 (17h33mn) <BR> <BR> AVIGNON 14:58 <BR>28/09 LYON PART DIEU 16:35 <BR>28/09 TGV <BR>Réservation obligatoire - <BR> <BR> <BR> LYON PART DIEU 18:45 <BR>28/09 DIJON VILLE 20:44 <BR>28/09 Train <BR>Réservation recommandée - <BR> <BR> <BR> DIJON VILLE 22:41 <BR>28/09 VENEZIA MESTRE 08:31 <BR>29/09 Train <BR>Réservation recommandée - <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Choix 2 (17h17mn) <BR> <BR> AVIGNON 15:14 <BR>28/09 LYON PART DIEU 17:38 <BR>28/09 Train <BR>Réservation recommandée - <BR> <BR> <BR> LYON PART DIEU 18:45 <BR>28/09 DIJON VILLE 20:44 <BR>28/09 Train <BR>Réservation recommandée - <BR> <BR> <BR> DIJON VILLE 22:41 <BR>28/09 VENEZIA MESTRE 08:31 <BR>29/09 Train <BR>Réservation recommandée - <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 01:17 AM
Ben Haines

Dear Ms Kaplan, <BR> <BR>The suggestion for a trip via Lyon and Dijon is good, if you're keen to see those places. Also, it gives greater distance on French trains, to the profit of French Rail. But a glance at the map will tell you that it a strange way to travel. <BR> <BR>If you looked up the German rail system, I wonder whether they would suggest a route via Berlin. But seriously, this example does illustrate the benefit of using the Thomas Cook timetable. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 05:20 AM
Vincent

OK, mea culpa, Jessica and Ben. I just wrote "Nice" in the "Via" box, and, yes, the connection you described is still available on September 28. On top of that, this route is shorter in time (14h34, against 17h via the Alps). Well, Ben, thank you for making me open my eyes on the machiavelism of the Poytechniciens who manage SNCF...