CDG allowed time for train to Lyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

We are looking at many travel options for this Sept.

I'm wondering how much time is needed at CDG between landing and getting to the train station to go to Lyon? Any suggestions?
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're taking the TGV directly from CDG, allow 3 hours from the stated time of landing. If you're going into Paris to catch the train, allow 4.
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 09:20 AM

That would be safe, but I never require that much time myself (3 hrs). I aim for 2, which seems plenty for me. That allows about 1-1.5 hr to get off the plane and get bags, through immigration and then just walking over to the TGV station doesn't take that long. I suppose it depends what terminal you land in, I always land somewhere in 2, if it were 1 I guess that could take a bit more.
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, just the info I was looking for. We're still not sure what we'll choose, but Lyon is a good option.
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 12:09 PM

Or... you could do the wimpy thing this risk-averse traveler did and take the Air France bus to the Gare de Lyon, spend the night at the nice little Terminus Lyon hotel, then walk across the street and take the morning TGV to Lyon.

This worked out well for us and we arrived in Lyon rested after a night's sleep and ready to make the most of our time there.

If you do decide to go directly from CDG, I would agree with StCirq's minimum 3-hour gap. We landed in CDG on time, but since there was no gate available, it took an hour to get us all into the terminal by bus, then we waited for the bags another hour.

We really enjoyed our visit to Lyon.
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 01:39 PM

MaineGG, glad you wrote that! I wrote a similar post a while earlier, then erased it b/c I thought it sounded so "old lady wimpy"! But in Oct. we are going in to Paris for a night rather than risk missing the train (and losing the non-refundable PREM tix) to Avignon. I am a risk-averse traveler, too, and that's a great "re-frame" for wimpy!

That written, TPAYT, I'm sure that chances are overwhelmingly in your favor that you will make your train!
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM

I just don't want the hassle and extra expense of missing a train after an overnight flight. For our most recent trip, we chose to go to a hotel near Montparnasse and leave the next morning on a TGV to Angoulême where we picked up a car and made our way to our rental near Sarlat.

In fact, our flight from AMS to CDG was cancelled and we were hours late finally arriving in Paris. It was such a relief to not have to rearrange train tickets, car pick-up times, and late arrival to our rental. It was nice to have a very early light dinner and a good night's sleep before continuing our travels.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

MaineGG----grandmere
I like the idea and I certainly don't consider you "wimpy" travelers. I consider you experienced travelers who have "been there, done that." After being stuck with a delay, losing luggage, etc. you begin to plan accordingly. Flying is not fun these days and figuring out the "EASIEST" way to get somewhere is being a smart traveler.

We still haven't figured out our Sept. trip (yes, I know it's getting late) but I'm using Fodorites experiences to try and figure it out.