Avignon and Provence in Winter

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 02:30 PM
ryan

Avignon and Provence in Winter

Has anyone traveled this area in winter. We are seriously considering spending about 10 days this Janurary traveling around central and southern France. Any suggestions on route or cities and accomadations would be a HUGE help. Possibly Paris to Lyon, Avignon, and Strasbourg. Thanks again for previous post help too.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:40 PM
J'adore Paris

We stayed in Avignon in February 2001. We rented a car and took day trips to Cavaillon, Carpentras, Vaison-la-Romaine, Isle-sur-la-Sorgue, etc. I absolutely enjoyed it, but I did feel a bit as though I’d missed out on the warm, sunny Provence I’d heard so much about. No lavender fields, no warm lunches on sunny terraces, etc.

And it was COLD! A wind that cut right through you! Sweaters and coats, scarves and gloves – we needed them all.

That said, we truly did enjoy the trip. The Palais de Papes was wonderful to see, as were the little towns we visited. Took the train to Arles one day and had a great time exploring there.

If you go, I’d suggest a meal at Christian Etienne in Avignon. It was memorable.

Took the train to Lyon for a few days. Still cold, but not as cold as Provence. Great food, and Vieux Lyon is just fantastic.

If you’re thinking of a mild provencal vacation, February may not be the best month. But if the cold isn’t a factor, I’d say go. There’s lots to do and the region is beautiful.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 03:56 PM
Pierrette

Thank you J'adore Paris. We were thinking of going this winter but will wait till the fall as we decided after reading your post that we have to have the warm lunches on sunny terraces, etc.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 05:43 PM
Sue

January wouldn't be my choice of months to go to Provence, but if that's when you have the time or whatever, go! I was there between Xmas and NYs one year and enjoyed the sights very much. Then took the train (on NY's Day, actually) to Strasbourg, and it was cold there, but again, lovely.
Went back to Provence in May, and of course, that was nicer, but I'd go anytime I had the chance!

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 09:08 AM
topper

topping