Reload this Page >

AVE by Credit Card?

Search

AVE by Credit Card?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Myer

AVE by Credit Card?

Is it possible to pay for AVE tickets, purchased in Madrid or Sevilla, by credit card (VISA, Mastercard, etc) in the train station at the time of travel? <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Maribel

Myer, <BR>Yes, train tickets at train stations in Madrid/Seville can be purchased by credit card. I usually purchase the AVE tickets a day ahead of time, if I can, just to be sure. (but you're not travelling peak season are you?-if you're heading to Spain this fall, you should be fine buying them at the station the day of your departure). They can also be purchased at any travel agency in Spain, and there's also a RENFE office at the Madrid airport. I often purchase my train tickets for my travels in Spain right there, upon arrival, after going through customs (ground floor, to the right after coming out of international arrival door #1). <BR>Hope you have a great trip to Madrid and points south. <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:34 PM
Myer

We're leaving for Spain Sept 26 and will be going to Sevilla the evening of the 30th. At this time I don't know exactly what time but I assume that we won't have a problem then. If we do, we can always wait an hour and take the next one. <BR>Thanks. <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Susan

How about buying them ahead of time from the RENFE website? Wouldn't this be easier if you know for sure when you're going? And don't you have to have a reserved seat on the AVE? I was thinking of doing it ahead so it would be all taken care of.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 02:50 AM
Myer

My daughter was in Madrid in June. She did a day trip to Toledo with no train problem. <BR>Two days later she took AVE to Sevilla and returned the following day. The only advance thing she did was buy the return to Madrid at the time she left for Sevilla. <BR>I'll be going Sept 30 and as yet don't know how late in the day we want to leave. <BR>I assume that at that time of year buying a ticket at the time of departure won't be a problem. If it is we'll just wait an hour (mainy trains each day) and leave then.

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 05:13 AM
Maribel

Myer, <BR>Hi, me again. Don't know what your daughter's experience was in Atocha with the lines at the ticket windows, but the last time I purchased tickets there (again, in peak season), the lines were quite long. You take a number, but the process does move along fairly quickly. I'd just give myself a little extra time at Atocha. I've never tried purchasing a ticket through the Ticknet system on the Renfe site. Could anyone tell us who has done this how easy/efficient it is? Thanks! <BR>Maribel

Old Sep 11th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Myer

I don't remeber her telling me about a line when buying tickets. She did say she had a bit of trouble finding the correct area of the train station. <BR>They didn't have much time to think about whether they should buy the return tickets at the same time. They did but had to guess at what time they'd want to come back. <BR>