Reload this Page >

autostrada tolls

Search

autostrada tolls

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 1999, 04:58 PM
Jolene

autostrada tolls

I keep reading about the expenses associated with driving in Italy, especially the tolls for the autostrada--How much should I expect to pay when traveling on a toll highway? Do France and Switzerland have toll highways as well? <BR>I have gotten so much info from this site, it's the best! <BR>

Old May 21st, 1999, 05:37 PM
maggie

Having just returned from Italy I'd say it's to some extent, not how much you pay as it is HOW you pay!!! 3rd trip to Italy and feeling pretty sophisticated about it ( but still jetlagged after the basic overnight flight) we got to a toll booth with lira ready----only to find out it was all machine operated. Eventually figured out the deal is: take the ticket when you get on, get in the VIN line when you're getting off and the pay by first inserting your ticket and then inserting your credit card---actually a great system. Big drawback is you don't get a receipt---although your charge does flash on the screen. <BR> <BR>As far as the real charges---from Verona to Florence--21,500lira (about $17.50), Malapensa (Milan) Airport to Lake Orta 3500 lira ($2). Expensive --yes--but still I think a car is the best way to really see any country. <BR> <BR>PS---there's also a cash lane but we became somewhat infatuated with the VIN lane, for better or for worse!!!!!

Old May 22nd, 1999, 05:37 AM
wes fowler

Jolene, <BR>France does indeed have toll roads and they are expensive! Switzerland does not (Swiss roads are excellent, by the way) In lieu of tolls, Switzerland requires a highway pass which is invariably provided by the auto rental agencies. It is a windshield sticker that looks much like the logo for an autobahn, white on a green background with a pictograph of a two lane highway receding into the distance with an overpass in the foreground. If the car is not provided with one, they are obtainable at border crossings.

Old May 22nd, 1999, 01:12 PM
Paulo

You may get exact figures for Italian tolls by using the official site of the Autostrade: <BR>http://www.autostrade.it/autonet/automap_ata.html <BR> <BR>As a rule of thumb, you should calculate about Lit 92 per kilometer. For very short distances this figure goes up to Lit 100/km and for very long distances it lowers to Lit 87/km. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old May 22nd, 1999, 02:51 PM
Jolene

Paulo: <BR> <BR>Thank you for the great site. It helps to know what to expect. Thanks for the rule of thumb tip, too! <BR> <BR>Jolene

Old May 23rd, 1999, 05:59 AM
Anna

Maggie says that: "Big drawback is you don't get a receipt---although your charge does flash on the screen. " <BR>That's not true at all. There is a button with "ricevuta" written on (or close to). If you use it you get your receipt in a few seconds. <BR>Anna

Old May 23rd, 1999, 11:26 AM
Maggie

Anna, <BR>Now I find out------I kept thinking it was weird not to get a receipt!!!! Thanks for the info for my next Italian adventure. (Also an indication I realy should take those Italian lessons!!) <BR>Maggie