Reload this Page >

automated train ticket machines in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:04 PM
Liesl

Hi there,<BR>I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the automated train ticket machines in Italy. Were they easy to use? Were you able to get seat reservations (if necessary, as on Eurostars)?<BR><BR>I'm also curious if anyone purchased tickets in advance on the Trenitalia website and then retrieved the tickets from one of the machines. If so, did the process go smoothly? It seems like a convenient and time-saving service; the only real risk is if all of the machines at the station happen to be out-of-order.<BR><BR>If anyone has had experience with this, please let me know what you thought was good/bad. Thanks!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:23 PM
Gerry

When you get to Italy just walk into any tourist agency. Ask if they speak english or whatever. They are hooked up via computer to the train networks and can make your reservations and issue tickets on the spot. We did this in Rome and got on Eurostar scheduled to leave in two hours. There is no additional charge for this service. Of course you can reserve from home on www.raileurope. But they charge a substantial fee and it is not necessary. The machines in the stations have an English menue but instructions are sparse and I wouldn't trust myself not to make a mistake.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:33 PM
Walter

I used one a couple of weeks ago in Termini but only for a Termini-Airport ticket. So I can only help you with the "easy to use" part of your question.<BR>Coming from a person who considers it a major victory when he successfully programs his VCR, the answer is Yes, they are easy to use. Hit the "English" option and it walks you right thru the process. Of course the last process is the "Purchase", so you can also use these machines to check the timetables and fares and then just "Cancel" when you get the info you want. In Rome's Termini they also have these machines downstairs in the shop (mini-mall) area, and there was no queue for them there like in the station. HTH Regards, Walter

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:40 PM
Teresa

We used this sysytem for our travel on ES from Rome to Florence. Very easy to use with English directions too.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:44 PM
Bob

I've used the machines on a number of occasions and had no problems. They're good for checking schedules and prices, and issuing tickets (including seat reservations). I've always gotten the proper change back and the number of machines are out of order are minimal. The machines can't handle all situations (e.g., mini-group discounts) but it sure beats waiting in line. You can also order tickets on the FS-ON-LINE site and pick up the tickets from the machines when you get to Italy but I've never done this because I've never seen the need to buy tickets before I get to Italy. If you need to get on a particular train as soon as you get to Italy, it might make sense to buy them ahead of time however.

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 12:54 PM
Liesl

Thanks, everyone! I'm considering ordering tickets in advance online for our Venice-Florence leg because we are flying into Venice and I don't want to have to worry about fitting in time to go to the train station or an agency a few days before we depart. For the other trips we will take by train, we can always get our departing tickets when we first arrive at the station...

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 01:39 PM
Gerry

I advise travel agency method. Trains fill up quickly at the last minute. By booking 2 hours in advace we got window seats. When train left it was full and some people were upset that they had to sit on the aisle. Or had to wait for the next train. Travel agencies are easy to find. Just walk in one when you walk by. No need to waste a lot of time looking for one.