auto rental/open jaw

Jul 9th, 2001, 09:08 PM
Kathy

auto rental/open jaw

I'm needing sources for auto rental in Germany. Might end up needing "open jaw" option. Can anyone help?

Jul 10th, 2001, 01:33 AM
Leslie

AutoEurope has a good reputation for price and service. I've used them and had great experience. They are a broker that books with recognizable names (e.g., Avis)

www.autoeurope.com

Jul 10th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Rex

There is considerable agreement n this board that www.autoeurope.com may indeed be the only name you need to know for car rental in Germany (and just abiut anywhere else in Europe).

Other sources worth checking include

www.its-cars-hotels.com
www.kemwel.com

and

www.travelocity.com

The expression "open jaw" seems to be used primarily in connecion with air travel - - meaning that you will fly into one city and out of a different city to return your origination - - traveling the "open jaw" of the triangle thus formed by some other means (often ground transportation, such as a rental car).

I'm not sure how you mean it to refer to a car rental, but most likely the more common expression would be a "one way" rental (renting in one city and returning in a different city). WithIN ONE country (even if you leave it and return to that same country), this rarely involves a "drop" charge (unlike the United States - - where a one-way from JFK to La Guardia can be very expensive).

Best wishess,

Rex

Jul 10th, 2001, 05:42 AM
Bob Brown

Rex's description of renting "open jawed" is very similar to what I have found. If you return the car in the same country, there is usually no additional charge. But drive it over a national border, and the charges can be relatively high.
After some caluclating, I decided to rent my car this summer in Innsbruck rather than Munich because I wanted to return the car before going to Vienna.
I had a choice of where to turn it in: Salzburg or Munich.
I did not want to drive back to Munich to turn in the car, but a Munich rental turned in at the Salzburg location would result in a drop fee. The fee was more expensive than two train tickets from Munich to Innsbruck. So I will rent in Innsbruck and drop in Salzburg. Yes, Austria is more expensive, but the difference between the drop fee and cost of the train tickets will reduce the difference. And convenience will make up the other part.

At any rate, I do end up paying for convenience! But that is why I get the car in the first place.

Jul 10th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Bob Brown

PS. My German friends tell me to try a company called Sixt.
I have not gotten any prices yet.

Jul 10th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Jean Valjean

I think that Sixt is in someway related with Budget.

They are quite popular in Germany. Quite cheap, too.

Jul 10th, 2001, 06:10 AM
John

Kathy:

What is nice about Autoeurope is that they will give you a quote on an "rent here leave there" on the internet! I wanted to see if a Frankfurt Pick-up and Zurich drop-off would be worth the expense. The quote came back about $100 extra, not bad if you wanted to explore into another country and can get a flight out of that country
JOHN
JOHN

Jul 10th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Anna

We will be doing a similar open jaw rental in September. I have been researching prices and so far the best rate I have found including VAT, CDW, and theft insurance is through DER travel. You can look on their website or call them directly. Sixt had good rates too, but DER's inclusive rates are better.
http://www.dertravel.com/
http://www.e-sixt.com/main.php3