Reload this Page >

Auto Europe Warning

Search

Auto Europe Warning

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 05:11 PM
Z.P.

Auto Europe Warning

Just a note of caution for those renting (or considering renting) a car from Auto Europe. Although its website advertises that Auto Europe guarantees the best rate on your rental car, in reality this doesn't always happen. I looked into renting a car in Ireland in August, and the lowest price I found was from Alamo for about $490 for 2 weeks. I told Auto Europe about this rate, and they couldn't even come within $200! Watch out for these guys. Hopefully the Better Business Bureau will crack down on their false advertising.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 05:25 PM
Rex

You could try complaining to the BBB, but I'm not sure that this is deceptive advertising. There will always be special promotional rates that will be very hard for any given company to beat, at times. They didn't actually take any money from you, did they? I think your complaint isn't all that strong. <BR> <BR>Plenty of other people (myself) included) have had very positive experiences with AutoEurope - - on many occasions. And I have also found prices, or special circumstances that led me to rent directly from one of the majors that they use, also. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 05:35 PM
tom

On my upcoming Greece rental, Autoeurope actually DID give me a substantially better rate than any of the US based major companies. It was always at least a $100 cheaper (11 day rental). <BR> <BR>I guess it pays to comparison shop, just becaase they "guarantee (?)" does not mean that they will ALWAYS be cheaper, ALL the time, in ALL countries.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 06:25 PM
Mavis

I've said this before, but I certainly won't book with AutoEurope again. It wasn't the price, it was the nickle and dime crap, the poor service at Heathrow, incompetent counter personnel when we returned the car (lucky thing I left three hours before our flight) and a rude staff member at the American head office (although the supervisor was helpful once I got to speak to him). I'm glad some of you have had great experiences, AND that doesn't invalidate the experiences of those of us who didn't.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 08:52 AM
Z.P.

Call me crazy, but I think if a company guarantees something, that company shouldn't be able to decide when and if it will honor that guaranty. I mean, I can understand if it was Joe Bob's tractor rental that was offering a lower rate, but when it's another major car company (Alamo in my case), Auto Europe has no excuse. BTW I did write to the BBB, asking them to remove their seal of approval from the site if Auto Europe doesn't cease to advertise that it guarantees the best rates.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 11:41 AM
tom

it can be very tricky comparing rental rates, to ensure that "direct" comaprisons are being made. <BR> <BR>for exmpl, for an upcoming 11 day rental in Greece, Autoeurope is charging $605 for a "mid size vehicle, Seat Toledo or similar". <BR> <BR>Alamo would charge $508 for an "intermediate" ... which seems much cheaper, right? <BR> <BR>Except that Alamo's intermediate is "Toyota Corolla or similar". <BR> <BR>Autoeurope categorizes Corolla as "Compact" and charges about $400. So direct comparison of cars is about $500 (Alamo) vs $400 (Autoeurope). <BR> <BR>For a Seat Toledo type car, Alamo wanted nearly $1400 per week(!!), vs Autoeurope's $600. <BR> <BR>It's crazy. It probably varies a lot by country, too. <BR> <BR>So, be sure that similar cars, with similar options, are being compared, and not just generic categories like "Intermediate".