Search

Austria Train Fare Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Austria Train Fare Question

Good afternoon,

I have taken the advice of many here and am looking at the Austrian rail site (www.oebb.at) for OW prices from Vienna to Salzburg in November.

This site quotes a special fare called
"1-PLUS-Freizeit-Ticket für die 2.Klasse"
...when I go further on the site and choose this fare for 2 adults, it says:

"1-PLUS-Freizeitticket inklusive Mitnahme eines Fahrrades je Reisenden ( auf ÖBB-Strecke )für 2 Personen älter als 14 Jahre einfache Fahrt 2 Klasse kostet 61.70 Euro"

That would be $74 USD for 2 tickets if I am translating that correctly... but I do not speak/read German so if anyone here can clarify...?

I would really like to wait until I arrive in Vienna to purchase these tickets,... does anyone here know if this 1-PLUS-Freizeit-Ticket is available at the train station? ...or only on the site?

PS: The railsaver.com site is quoting $104 for 2 adult tickets, so I really started to get confused as to if I am understanding the Austrian site.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 02:30 PM

>1-PLUS-Freizeitticket inklusive Mitnahme eines Fahrrades je Reisenden ( auf ÖBB-Strecke )für 2 Personen älter als 14 Jahre einfache Fahrt 2 Klasse kostet 61.70 Euro"

"1-Plus-Freizeitticket including one bicycle to take with you per traveller (on ÖBB-tracks) for 2 people older than 14 years single journey 2nd class costs 61.70€".
The "." in 61.70€ should be a "," in the original text. i.e. one million would be 1.000.000 and two-fifty would be 2,50
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:57 PM

The way I read it, two of you can ride for the price stated of 61.70€. And you can take a bicycle.

Note that the ticket is good only for one day.

In my experience, you can email your question in English and you will receive a prompt, polite response.

Some of the web site is in English, but when it gets down to the nitty gritty about tickets, there is no English.

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 07:17 PM

PS I dug a little deeper. I suggest you ask in your email what the ticket would be. The fine print I just found says this:
Der Fahrpreis im Verbundraum, am Automaten oder beim Schalter kann geringfügig abweichen.

I read this to say that the price of the ticket sold by the ÖBB from an automatic machine or a ticket window can vary in price from the on-line price.

abweichen can mean to vary or differ.
geringfügig means a slight, limited amount.

I suppose it is up for grabs as to how much money limited means.

Verbundraum is not in my dictionary nor is it in Leo, the on line dictionary.
Verbund can mean network or laminated.
So figure your own definition!!
I read it as the area of the rail travel system, in this case the ÖBB network.

Perhaps a person with a better knowledge of German can comment on my interpretation. Then we can all learn.

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:29 AM

Your interpretation is correct. The "Verbundraum" is the area of a common network of trains, bus companies and other public transport companies who use the same tariffs and tickets. The customer can use one ticket for all, the revenue will be split between the companies.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:16 AM

Thanks. Good to know how it all works.
I know the Austrian system seems well integrated. What I liked was the ecumenical nature of the senior rail pass.
I bought a Senior Vorteilskarte, with picture, and it paid for itself rather quickly. I still have it as a memory, even though it has expired.

I used it Innsbruck - Wien; Wien - Muenchen. Nice savings for little travel.

I might add that the purchase was easy.
The ticket agent knew his job and he spoke good English.

In Vienna, I am amazed at how well so many people speak English.

At Schönbrunn Palace I started looking at the badges worn by the staff. Each badge listed the languages that the employee spoke. Some had 4 languages listed, like Russian, Turkish, Hungarian, and German. The lady who had that particular combination of languages also spoke English well enough to help us.
I tried asking her a question in German, and got a response in English.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:56 AM
cherylforeurope

The price you're getting is about the same we just paid getting the ticket at the train station.

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

This is all great information! Thanks to ALL of you for your help.

I did take bob_brown's advice and emailed the Austrian rail site contact address this morning, I will let you know what they say when they reply.

One more question, Can you tell...IF I do buy the ticket online, can we travel on ANY train that same day? ... or only for that specific time on that specific day?

Thanks again!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:05 PM

I looked at the German write up of 1-PLUS-Freizeit ticket. It does not specify usage restrictions. Here is the German. Someone else may read something into it I missed.

1-PLUS-Freizeitticket

Damit auch Familien und Kleingruppen preisgünstig mit der Bahn unterwegs sein können, gibt es das 1-PLUS-Freizeitticket.

[So that families and small groups can travel at a favorable porice, there is the 1-PLUS-vacation ticket.]

Für Ausflügler, Wanderer und speziell für Radfahrer.
[For excusion groups, wanders and especially for bicycle riders.]

Mit dem 1-PLUS-Freizeitticket gibt es bereits ab der zweiten Person eine Mitfahrermäßigung. Und als zusätzlicher Vorteil ist die kostenlose Mitnahme eines Fahrrades ohne Reservierung in allen Fahrradbefördernden Zügen im Preis inkludiert.
[With the 1-Plus tiekce there is a companion discount for the second person. As an additional benefit the free taking of a bicycle included. No reservation required and the bicycle can be taken on all trains so equipped.]

Wenn Sie eine Platzreservierung für einen Sitzplatz und einen Rad-Stellplatz in EuroCity/InterCity - Zügen bevorzugen, ist dies für einen Aufpreis von 5.- EUR pro Person möglich. Für einen gesicherten Fahrrad-Stellplatz ist eine rechtzeitige Reservierung zu empfehlen. [if you prever a reservation for a seat and a bycycle place in euro City and InterCity trains, you may purchase one for 5 EUR per person.
For a guaranteed bicycle position the purchase of a Reservation for the same time recommended. ]

Wenn Sie eine VORTEILScard Familie besitzen, reisen Ihre Kinder bis 14 Jahre (und das Rad) gratis mit.
{if you have a discount card for the family, your children up to age 14 may travel free with a bicycle.]

Das 1-PLUS-Freizeitticket ist für eine bis fünf gemeinsam reisende Personen für Fahrten in Österreich in der 1. und 2. Klasse erhältlich.

[the 1 Plus vacation ticket is available for a group of 5 people traveling together om Austriia in 1st and 2nd class.

In case you are curious about the bikes. Some cars on local trains have bicycle racks. I have seen them mainly on local trains rather than the Eurocity Trains.
I know I rode in one car that was half seats and half bicycle racks.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 02:47 PM

That's a very! good translation. Just two minor things:
"Freizeit" = "spare time"
>group of 5 people
group of up to 5 people
>companion discount for the second person
companion discount from the second person. (The 3rd,4th and 5th person will get a discount too).
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:09 PM

I had some other errors, too. I also should have written it wanderers, people who like to wander. I did some of that one summer many years ago. Clothes in hand in a small valise, I just got on a bus and went. Spent the night in some remote places.

Yes indeed. I slipped on vacation time for Freizeit. It is translated better as leisure time or time off or even spare time.
The Leo dictionary says so, too. I just missed it.

I also missed on the up to 5 people. Wrote it in English too quickly. I knew better, just did not do better.

At any rate, the Freizeit ticket can save money, and the Austrians do not restrict those rail passes just to Austrian nationals. The agent who sold me my senior card spoke excellent English and was somewhat amused that an American knew about it!

As a general rule, I have found that I enjoyed my travels in Austria. The small towns are particularly nice.

This is somewhat off the subject, but I have found that if one travels Austria and goes only to the cities like Innsbruck, Salzburg, Linz, and Vienna that much of the charm of the small villages is missed.

We have gone to places like Lienz, Heiligenblut, Solden, and a few others.
Very interesting and fun to do.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Bob and Logos, thanks again! The website has not yet replied, but I feel pretty comfortable with just waiting until I arrive to purchase....

Bob, this leads me to your next comment about the small towns. I agree with you 100%, we would like to experience the small towns. This trip is still being formed and we are very open to any suggestions.
Here is what is NOT flexible,
- we only have a week
- we have to be in Vienna at least 1-2 nights
-we would like to include at least 1 very scenic train ride (we are not renting a car this time)

My original thoughts were that the ride between Vienna and Salzburg would be very scenic.

Would you suggest Klagenfurt a base for a couple of days, with day trips to Lienz, Heiligenblut, etc? We could skip Salzburg... is the scenery between Klagenfurt and Vienna pretty?

If we do spend time in Klagenfurt does anyone know if there are tours to the caves in Slovenia from there? (I had wanted to make a side trip to Ljubljana and the caves close to there. However, with the time we have we could not do both.)

Thank you!
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 02:56 AM

>My original thoughts were that the ride between Vienna and Salzburg would be very scenic.
It's nice, esp. the Salzkammergut, but it's not the real thing, not a high alpine landscape, as you'll be mostly north of the alps. Lienz and Heiligenblut are far more interesting when it comes to scenery.
I would avoid the Zillertal if possible, far too many forein tourists there!, but stay in places like Kals. The caves (Postojna) are interesting but then a 6 hour tour through the Entrische Cave in Badgastein will be closer and as interesting. You'll need alpine gear, but the guide will provide everything for you. No need for special fitness or training, you just shouldn't be afraid of hights too much.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:08 PM

The time of year makes a major difference in what you can enjoy.
November is not a choice month temperature wise, but it should not be freezing during the day.

One of the problems is that many of the smaller towns like Mondsee and St. Gilgen are not on a train line.
You travel by bus if you don't have a car.

Heiligenblut is a small place that I have visited only in the summer. I have no idea what it would be like in mid to late November. I would expect the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse to be closed, which removes a feature.

I think Klagenfurt would be interesting for a day. It is a 4 to 5 hour train ride from Vienna, depending on your connection.

Not having tried "village hoping" without a car, I am not sure how well it would go. You would need to be armed with good bus schedules.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for the great tips. I have not heard a reply to my email to the Austian rail... but will let you know if I do.

Until then, ...still planning.