Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

August or September- dilemna! Please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to plan a trip to Italy for my husband and myself later this year and have run into a bit of a problem with our flights. I am hoping to use miles, which greatly limits us. I have found good options on flights for us to go mid to end of August. Ideally I would prefer to go in Sept, but our only option would be a quite short 6 night trip. From what I have read, everyone warns against August as a horrible time to travel to Italy. Our general plans as of now would be to spend time in Tuscany - in the countryside at wineries and at the beach. Can you give me some advice? Is it better to go in Sept for a much shorter and rushed trip then to bear it in August with the heat and crowds??
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:38 PM
nbujic

August is the time (especially the last part) when most Europeans take their holidays.
The beaches are very crowded (both Italian and French coast)but the cities may be o.k.
(Some stores and restaurants close , but there is always something to do and see) Make sure you have AC all the way.

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:45 PM

If you enjoy crowds, are energized by the teaming masses, dive in and enjoy.

If crowds scare (either of) you and make you feel off balance, then September is better for you.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone out there spent time in Tuscany in August? Of course we would prefer not to fight the crowds or heat, but we would be able to spend more time in Tuscany. I would love to hear from you!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm wondering why you're limited to such a short trip in September. We used our miles for a trip in late September/early October last year, and we didn't even book the flight until July. True: we had to be willing to make 4 stops between SF and Rome, but we were able to fly first class, so it was no big deal. I really hung in there with United when I made the reservations. If you can get a helpful and patient rep on the phone, you might be luckier with your plans. (I called 4 times before I found one who was willing to go the extra mile for me.) Just a suggestion!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Don't worry so much about the crowds. We've spent time in Tuscany during August, and if you time your visits to most of the hilltowns for either very early in the day or end of the day/early evening, you won't run into a problem. Other than that, most of the driving you do will be either on the highway or tiny unsigned roads that are not typically clogged with traffic.

The beaches are another story. We visited Santa Margherita after our stay in Tuscany, and it was wall to wall people. So were many of the nearby towns, like Portofino.

However, if it's the best time for you to go, do it, but make your plans soon. Many hotels book way ahead for the summer months.