Search

ATMs in London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Laurie

ATMs in London

What kinds of fees can I expect to pay when getting money at ATMs in London? Okay, it is probably a dumb question but my accountant husband thinks we need to plan down to the last dime. Thanks

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Kathy

Laurie, I believe it is around 2-3 U.S. dollars per transaction, depending on your bank and card used. Have a wonderful time in London!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Laurie

Thanks!!!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:33 PM
x

As I recall from my last trip to London, I was not charged a service fee by the London bank when I used the ATM. The charge came from my own bank. I may be wrong, but I believe that this is universal throughout the UK.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Suzy

That was my experience, too, last year -- British banks imposed no fees (I've read that it's prohibited) but US banks impose their usual out-of-network fee, if any.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 04:51 PM
xxx

It is totally up to your bank. It ranges from nothing to $5 depending on what your bank thinks it can get away with.<BR><BR>The rules of Cirrus and Plus do not allow the issuing bank to impose a fee on an ATM transaction involving a card issued outside the country where the machine is located. Thus the British banks do not charge US cardholders any fee.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Mara

So far my bank (in the US) has never charged me for taking money out of ATM's in England or France and I don't have any out-of-network privileges either! And their exchange rate is okay!

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Laurie

Thanks everyone for your answers. I really appreciate the information.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 05:25 PM
Shelley

When we were in England last summer, we were charged $1.10 for every ATM withdrawl, regardless of the amount of money we withdrew and regardless of the bank from which we withdrew it. Our ATM card is issued by USBank. The exchange rate differs slightly each day, so you won't be able to pin down EXACTLY what you are withdrawing from an account. However, if you bank online and have access to a computer, that may help you to be more exact.