Search

ATM's in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 09:24 AM
lin gitterman

ATM's in Italy

We have a five digit access code on our ATM card - will this be a problem in Rome, Tuscany and Liguria? (Have spoken to our bank but they do not seem to able to answer this question clearly!!)

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 09:52 AM
Linda

Yes, it will be a problem. Almost all, if not all, ATMs in Italy work on 4-digit PINs. You need to convince your bank to assign a 4-digit PIN to your card. Many times, it only means dropping the last digit of your present PIN.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 10:09 AM
Gerry

Just go into your bank in person and tell them you need a 4 digit pin for your trip to Europe. They can then change it right there for you. They should not question this. If they do, just insist. You definately will need a four digit pin in Italy. And, I would bring more than one card just in case. Although all 4 of my and my wife's cards worked just fine you never know when one might not work or be rejected, lost, stolen etc. An exta card is just good insurance.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 11:13 AM
micia

Hi, I live here and I can tell you that you will not have a problem with 5 digits. <BR>Our banks have the same number too.

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 12:08 PM
palenquebob

in any case don't rely totally on atms or anything else in Italy working all the time. I've been in Florence for example during a national strike where all ATMs were empty. Generally though yes they are everywhere. make sure your magnetic strip is in good condition as cards i've used in the U.S. wouldn't work in Europe. Ask your local bank the fees for using ATMs in Europe,usually $1-3.