Search

ATMs in French?

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 1999, 07:05 AM
Janet

ATMs in French?

I've read how easy it is to get Franc using the ATMs. I am assuming the instructions for withdrawing money are in French. Can anyone tell me the French phrases for enter PIN, Withdrawal, Take cash now, etc.? <BR> <BR>Or is there a way to have them display English? <BR> <BR>Thanks! I leave on 5/26, I can hardly wait.

Old May 20th, 1999, 07:09 AM
martha

"Don't worry, they all speak English"--it may not be true of people, but all the ATMs we visited in Paris did. <BR>Bon voyage!

Old May 20th, 1999, 07:09 AM
martha

"Don't worry, they all speak English"--it may not be true of people, but all the ATMs we visited in Paris did. <BR>Bon voyage!

Old May 20th, 1999, 07:13 AM
Helen

I was going to brag that I never had a problem with it -- then I realized that most of the machines I encountered on a recent trip to Paris and the Loire valley had an English option. If there were any French-only machines, they must have been well designed to accomodate non-francophones, because I have no recollection of having any confusion about what to do. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Old May 20th, 1999, 07:37 AM
Richard

Janet, We just returned from Germany and every ATM we used, from cities to small towns, had the option of instructions in German, French or English.

Old May 20th, 1999, 08:23 AM
Robin

Janet, I used ATM's for the first time during my trip last month. And as I inserted my card, I wondered if I'd understand the instructions - NO PROBLEM, in Paris, Florence, Rome & Positano, the machine presented me with several language options (obviously recognizing that I was a foreigner) and I was able to complete my transaction in English with no difficulties. <BR>

Old May 21st, 1999, 08:30 AM
pauline

I think that all banks have their ATM's programmed to offer a choice of languages when they recognise a 'foreign' card. <BR> <BR>I used a machine in Spain which had a choice of 10 languages including Norwegian!

Old May 21st, 1999, 01:24 PM
Janet

Thanks so much for the info! I won't lose any sleep over this now!