Notices

ATMs

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 09:19 AM
gretchen

ATMs

Are ATMs as plentiful in Austria, Italy, Switzerland and Germany as they are in France? ......everywhere

Gretchen

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Sandy

Yes, they are everyplace, you won't have any trouble finding them.

Sandy

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Alec

In short, yes. To give an example, in Salburg there are 53 Visa/Plus ATMs, 37 in Pisa, 12 in Interlaken and 96 in Heidelberg. You can find locations of ATMs on http://www.visa.com/pd/atm/main.html
and Mastercard/Cirrus on
http://www.mastercard.com/atm/
The lists are not exhaustive; in each of these countries you'll find an ATM even in villages big enough to have a post office or a bank.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 11:12 AM
gretchen

Thanks for the info. We found that to be true in France but I wasn't sure if it was true all over Europe.

Good. Now I don't have to get traveler's checks.

Gretchen

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 11:19 AM
mshaw

Gretchen,
I had no trouble in Italy. But my husband had trouble with his card. Make sure your cards are set-up for international withdrawals. Also, my card company saw lots of foreign use and cut me off thinking the card was stolen..So call and let them know you are traveling abroad. Have fun..Maggie

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 09:32 AM
Sarbeth

I agree, no problem in Italy...from what the people at Bank of America said you need a 4 number pin for withdrawals...be aware of what your bank charges for ATM withdrawals out of their bank...BofA charges 3 dollars per..about the cost of commission for changing in the bank...we even saw a change machine that took in every country currency and gave lira back; there was a 5000 lire exchange for that...almost 3 dollars, at the time (mid-March). Have fun.
Sarabeth