ATM withdrawals in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2019, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This year we traveled with a friend in Portugal and France. In a period of three days I withdrew 500€ (200 +100 +200) from two Santander branches. In Spain Santander charged a fee for withdrawal, but not in Portugal. We were pickpocketed a couple of days later, so our friend had to lend us cash for the rest of the trip. This meant that a reckoning of what we owed her had to be done back in the States and she provided us with a spread sheet of her ATM withdrawals, and she withdrew 600€ at the same time as we did from the same Santander branches. I divided her third withdrawal in half to equalize the withdrawals between hers and ours, but kept the bank fee in its entirety because that is a fixed fee regardless of the amount withdrawn.

Here are the results:
My credit union withdrawals are $566.78 starting on May 10 in case someone wants to check the posted rate for that day.
Her withdrawals through the Bank of America are $638.52 (fixed fee of $15 for three separate withdrawals).

That's a $70+ differential in cost. That adds up to quite a chunk of money over a three week trip.

For those wondering why we took out so much money; instead of paying with a credit card we used a common kitty for all common expenses: restaurants, museum tickets (unless we went to separate venues), transportation passes, any expenses for activities done in common.

Last edited by Michael; Sep 1st, 2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 03:33 PM

Well, I'm no math genius, but you withdrew 500 euros and she withdrew 600, so there's one 100-euro difference right off the bat. She got stiffed by BOA for $15 for 3 withdrawals, and you didn't (I'm not sure why you should pay for her unwarranted withdrawal fees, but that's a small dispute). You say you divided her third withdrawal in half to equalize the amounts? OK, that seems fair, but I think it boils down to the different banks you were using and the different charges they imposed, which you had no control over. And frankly, I don't think that $70 over a 3-week period is all that horrible - it's less than $25 a week. Deduct the $15 that she stupidly pays to BOA for overseas withdrawals, and it's really negligible. And it seems there were two of you and one of her, right? That could make a difference, big time.

I really hate arrangements like this where everyone is sweating the small stuff and having to type up spreadsheets. If such amounts of money are so important to you, don't travel on a cash basis with friends.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 04:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You could have broken your "rule" and used a credit card, and she could have reimbursed you for her portion of any expense. Instead, she helped you out with cash. I don't think you "owe" her for the bank fees (as StCirq pointed out, there are banking options without fees), but, in a gesture of friendship and appreciation (hopefully you were happy travelers together), I would offer to split them.

Like StCirq, I couldn't travel like this. There are so many aspects to travel and travel planning that can't be measured in money. Did any of you spend time and effort researching and booking tours, hotels, restaurants, finding museum hours, train timetables, comparing air fares, etc.?
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind and understanding advice.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq
Well, I'm no math genius, but you withdrew 500 euros and she withdrew 600, so there's one 100-euro difference right off the bat. She got stiffed by BOA for $15 for 3 withdrawals, and you didn't (I'm not sure why you should pay for her unwarranted withdrawal fees, but that's a small dispute). You say you divided her third withdrawal in half to equalize the amounts? OK, that seems fair, but I think it boils down to the different banks you were using and the different charges they imposed, which you had no control over. And frankly, I don't think that $70 over a 3-week period is all that horrible - it's less than $25 a week. Deduct the $15 that she stupidly pays to BOA for overseas withdrawals, and it's really negligible. And it seems there were two of you and one of her, right? That could make a difference, big time.

I really hate arrangements like this where everyone is sweating the small stuff and having to type up spreadsheets. If such amounts of money are so important to you, don't travel on a cash basis with friends.
As I explained, I took that into account by diving her last withdrawal in half. That small stuff adds up when we have about $4,000 worth of withdrawals.

For readers who think that I am outraged and resent paying back our friend, you are wrong. I think that BofA has outrageous fee structures, and this is a prime example.

Last edited by Michael; Sep 1st, 2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
You could have broken your "rule" and used a credit card, and she could have reimbursed you for her portion of any expense. Instead, she helped you out with cash. I don't think you "owe" her for the bank fees (as StCirq pointed out, there are banking options without fees), but, in a gesture of friendship and appreciation (hopefully you were happy travelers together), I would offer to split them.

Like StCirq, I couldn't travel like this. There are so many aspects to travel and travel planning that can't be measured in money. Did any of you spend time and effort researching and booking tours, hotels, restaurants, finding museum hours, train timetables, comparing air fares, etc.?
I lost everything, credit card, debit card, driver's license, as did my wife, on the same day. We eventually got an extra card 5 days later. But that is not the point, nor am I complaining about her charging me for the bank fees. We fully accept the costs, it was beyond our control. I am just trying to point out that BofA has an outrageous rate of exchange and fee structure, and that there are alternatives.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

To clarify further out relationship on this trip: I did all the Airbnb reservations, and some hotel reservations, purchased the Easyjet tickets, the SNCF tickets, and then filed for a refund when we missed our train due to a late plane. It's not a problem, iI do it for the two of us, the third party does not add any complications except in trying to judge the quality of an apartment, which I might remember to describe in my eventual trip report. I started this post meant as an advice to those who plan to travel to Europe. For all I know, advising us to use a credit card might be no better in that her BofA credit card (we did not have one for a while) might also use a rate of exchange that is significantly worse than the average posted daily rate. For those interested, here is a site where cost can be evaluated: https://www.xe.com/creditcard-charges-calculator/
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq

OK. I read your post more carefully. The total ATM withdrawals are over $4000 for the whole trip. I was comparing only two days of withdrawals at a period where we were both using the same branches of Santander to withdraw the money. Everything was equal except the bank in the States.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 04:51 PM

I'm sorry to read you were pick-pocketed. I know how that feels and count myself lucky that they only got some cash that day (in the Kiev train station). Your friend pulled your bacon out of the fire so quibbling over bank withdrawal fees as some suggested seems pretty churlish. I'm glad you made it through your trip all right.

I believe most all the major banks -- BoA, Chase, Wells Fargo, etc. charge ridiculous fees which is why I opened a different account (Capital One) for travel that charges no fees like that. I have accounts with BoA and Chase but would use their atm cards overseas only as a last resort. It's definitely a live and learn kind of thing and I will be changing my tactics for carrying cards/cash/passport in the future.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

The one credit card I eventually used, FedEx'd from the States, is a Chase card which charged less than 1% of the daily average.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 05:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I am sort of perplexed re the reason for your thread?? Is is mainly to warn that BofA charges a LOT for out-of-system ATM usage?? That is a given and has been so for decades. Some people choose to use BofA for other reasons and just accept their fee structure as a cost of being a BofA customer. Others are clueless and don't know other banks charge less.

Seems strange that both you and your wife were pick pocketed and lost everything on the same day. Unless one of you carries everything. Don't you split cards/cash/etc - losing one ATM or credit card wouldn't be as big a deal if a spouse had duplicate and/or spare cards . . .
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 06:25 PM

I suppose that overall $5 atm charges don't add up to that much but when you include the 3% conversion fees it just feels like insult added to injury. I think that people who don't frequent travel forums just don't think about all the pesky details with so many other things to think about, and opening up a new bank account for travel may not be all that practical.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 07:24 PM

BoA is notorious for its fees, has been for a long time.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 07:31 PM

Not just BoA unfortunately.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Michael
Everything was equal except the bank in the States.
And the dates?
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 11:57 PM

Nothing to say regarding the bank fees. But I am so sorry to hear that you both got pick-pocketed. I hope you still had a nice time.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 02:27 AM

<<I am just trying to point out that BofA has an outrageous rate of exchange and fee structure, and that there are alternatives.>>

Well, that is not how your post came across. Rather, it sounded as if you were ticked off at your traveling companion for having incurred $70 more in trip expenses over 3 weeks. I think everyone here is aware of the outrageous fees some banks charge.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 03:57 AM

I think it was clear that BOA outrageous fees was the main point, and no, I don't think EVERYBODY is aware. I've heard novice travelers convinced that BOA is a good choice because they stress the European partner bank angle. We left BOA years ago because of ridiculous fees even without travel.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 04:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So I guess

1) try not to get pick pocketed by thieves
2) try not to get pick pocketed by your bank. They have to understand that their inefficiency just does not work in the modern world. Dump them and find a lower cost money supplier
3) Europe basically accepts cards (well not American Express, obviously, as was pointed out to me many times in the Netherlands last weekend, but normal Visa and Mastercard cards) and not always in Germany and Austria but that is changing fast. Next time avoid cash
4) I'd pay the fees of a friend who helped me out. All of them. Period.

In case anyone feels like pointing out how many American Express card logos on restaurants exist all over Europe, I'd point out, maybe, but try using it in Central Amsterdam and find out often it actually works.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 05:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
While the math was confusing to me, nothing in the original post made me think the OP was annoyed with his friends or with anyone but the pickpockets and the bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -