Search

ATM's in europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM's in europe

Hi,

I'm heading to London/Paris in August and was wondering about the ATM's. I was planning on bringin my ATM card and credit card, but I'm worried about getting my ATM card eaten by the machine? My bank says I should be fine but was wondering what others have brought for money. I"ve heard that travellers cheques are outdated and not many people will exchange them anymore. Any advice would be great?I've also heard about the debit type of travellers cheques but I'm not sure if they are offered in Canada?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Don't take travellers' cheques!!! They are too much of a hassle to cash - you'll end up waiting in long bank lineups. And at some places you will be charged a fee to cash them.
You will be fine with your ATM card, and a credit card. You might want to consider getting a backup credit card (with different account number) in case your primary one is stolen/lost and you have to cancel the account.
Also, if your credit card is issued by the same bank as your chequing account, you can get your accounts linked, so that you can access your chequing account using your credit card at the ATM. You just have to make sure that you're not getting a "cash advance" but are actually withdrawing from your chequing account.
Also note that you cannot access a savings account via an ATM in Europe - just chequing accounts. And make sure you notify your credit card company before you go, of the dates you'll be in Europe, so they don't view the purchases as suspicious and put a hold on your account.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:33 AM

We recently spent 2 weeks in the UK and took some cash, two credit cards, and our ATM card. We used our ATM card on 3 different occasions and had no problems at all. Two of the transactions were at a bank ATM in Edinburgh during normal business hours and once was at a bank ATM in Dunkeld on a Sunday.

We used our Mastercard for almost everything except small purchases in pubs, grocery stores, etc. When I received our bill, the rates we received were between $1.77 and $1.81. Pretty good actually.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:36 AM

I have used ATMs all over France on several trips and have never had a problem. Do be sure and tell your back the dates you will be gone and you shouldn't have any trouble.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Sylvia

My husband and I (I sound like the Queen)
have accounts in two banks. We take a card for each one so that if one gets eaten, we can use the other.

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:05 PM

My husband and I each have an ATM/debit card for the same account, so we bring both. We leave one in the room or safe so that we have a backup in case the first gets damaged in a machine. Also, don't forget to make sure you have a four digit pin.

We also bring two credit cards for two separate accounts in case of emergencies.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Get a duplicate ATM card from your bank before the trip if you're nervous. Take US cash you can exchange at a bank. Credit card(s) for large expenses. Travelers checks (optional) for emergencies but plan to go into a bank to cash them, not spend directly at a place of business.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:16 PM

I should add that we have never had a bit of a problem with bank machines in several trips to London and Paris, and we've always just had 1 chequing account and 1 credit card. We've only made additional credit card arrangements for this latest trip, as we'll be separated for several weeks, with 1 person in Greece. (I have heard reports of some challenges with ATM machines in Greece).

Just keep the cards in a safe place, like a hidden money belt, and keep a bit of cash in your wallet. In the unlikely event of a purse snatching, pickpocketing or a mugging, you could give up the bit of cash. You can always go into a private location like a bathroom to retrieve a card out of your "secret spot" and replace when you're done with it.

I'm not sure about the debit travleler's cheques in Canada.... I've never seen them here but I've never looked. Travellers cheques are just so outdated and a pain.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:22 PM

I recommend carrying debit cards from two different financial institutions.

Debit cards, because "cash advance" fees on credit cards are outrageous, and two cards because one might max out your daily limit and will be declined until the next day (this happened to me in Zurich earlier this month).

By using only big-name ATMs (Barclay's, Credit Lyonnais etc.), we got Interbank exchange rates plus one dollar for each transaction.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Five trips to Europe in eight years, eight countries, ZERO travelers' checks used, ZERO ATM cards eaten.

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 01:35 PM

..had a problem with my debit card..i have both a savings and checking on the same card. i tried to withdraw cash no luck on some machines but fine on Barclay's (and this was not a Barclays card)...in Brussells no luck but i was travelling with a European friend...I would charge dinner on my visa and friend would pay me for her half so wasnt a disaster..but could have been..suggest you get a card with only checking!