Search

ATM's in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM's in Europe

Is there a set fee for using the ATMs in Europe or does it vary from country to country? thanks
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:17 PM

Not to be sassy, but if you search on the subject you'll find a BUNCH of posts about the subject. But, generally, your bank shouldn't charge you because there is no fee warning on the ATMs here. However, my bank charges me.

I would say it varies more from bank to bank. I don't think the ATMs themselves charge a fee, at least I haven't seen it myself, but your bank might charge one for using an ATM oversees.<BR><BR>Anne

Hello, <BR>Give your bank a call, it typically varies from bank to bank. Mine is the same fee if I use an ATM anywhere outside the U.S.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Fees are assessed by your own bank, they don't get that there's no sign on an ATM in Europe, it's their rules, not that foreign ATM. My bank charges the exact same fee for ANY out-of-network ATM whether it's down the block or in Europe. I don't know of any regular bank-affiliated ATM in Europe that charges a fee (in addition to your own bank's fee)--those would be the VISA/PLUS/CIRRUS etc network ones--although those private ATMs will, just as in US.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 03:55 PM

Two possible fees when you use your ATM card (either in Europe or your own country):<BR><BR>- fee by your bank to use another bank's ATM<BR>- fee by the other bank's ATM<BR><BR>When I was in France and the Netherlands, the banks did not charge me any fee at any ATM. I'm guessing this is the case throughout Europe but I could be wrong (which country?). <BR><BR>My credit union also did not charge me a fee to use my card there, so I got euros from those ATM machines for no charge. Check with your bank before you leave to see what if anything they charge you to use another bank's ATM.<BR><BR>Andrew<BR>
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:21 PM

As someone earlier said, fees can be charged either by your bank or by the bank that owns the ATM, or both. Sometimes, overseas ATM's are &quot;free, but then that's usually because they make it up in the exchange rate, which is normally cheaper thru ATMs or on credit cards than anywhere else, so you might as well use them! Both major ATM nextworks, Cirrus and Plus, have Internet sites where you can look up their ATMs anywhere. Check your bank ATM card for what network they belong to.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:05 PM

Quebec,<BR>Whenever this topic comes up, the ambiguity in the terms used causes each one answering different aspect of this transaction.<BR><BR>There are (at least) three places where additional charges against you come in, that is 3 not 1. <BR><BR>1. Fee charged by the operator of the ATM machine spitting out the money.<BR>2. The network operator - PLUS or CIRRUS <BR>3. Your bank for using another bank's ATM<BR><BR>In countries I went as well as commonly visited countries, the fee #1 is zero. Unlike predatory prices we see here in the USA.<BR><BR>The Network operator charges 1% over so called official exchange rate for providing the currency conversion service. This is fee #2. This is buried in the conversion rate so when someone says he/she did not get charged any fee, what it means is that only this buried 1% is charged. Sure, this is small and unavoidable, but this is still a charge against you.<BR><BR>Fee #3 is what your bank charges you and is independent of which country you do the transaction.<BR>
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:22 PM

I don't recall any fees from the banks in Greece, France or Scotland over the past few years outside of my local bank's fee for out of network charges. Either way, you won't find a better exchange rate outside of using your credit card. Don't sweat it, just be sure your PIN is only four digits. Most if not all European ATMs don't allow more than four digits for PINs.