ATM machines in Italy?

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM machines in Italy?

Can anyone tell me what cards work for the ATM machines in Italy? CIRRUS? STAR? PLUS?
Thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:10 AM

We were in Venice and had no problems with our cards (which have all 3 logos). I looked at mastercard.com (which lists ATM's with Cirrus logos) and searched for Cirrus ATM's in Rome for you and it turned up pages of them. I'm sure you won't have trouble, but if you want exact locations go to MC's website and get them.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:12 AM

My cards have always been on Cirrus, and it's never, ever been a problem for us. Not in Italy, not in France, not in the UK, not in Switzerland, etc.

Even in the remotest villages, we've been able to get cash without difficulty.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks for the help! We leave in 2 days....needed to get that figured out.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Now that I started thinking about it...
The only problem I've ever had was with an ATM card for a savings account. I was in Ireland, and the card wasn't linked to a checking account. The ATM's in Irel. couldn't recognize my acct for some reason b/c it was a savings instead of a checking account. So, if your card is only for a svgs. account, you may want to check with your bank. In addition, I always call my bank and tell them I am leaving the country. I have heard horror stories of people having their accounts frozen because the bank thought it was fraudulent activity. I also get my daily withdrawl limit increased (which can be dangerous if you lose your card) because I generally pay for hotels and the like with cash. Just some suggestions for you. Good luck and have fun!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. Good advice about calling the bank to let them know. I'll definitely do that!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:52 AM

And while you're calling your bank be sure to ask if they have partner banks in Europe, where you won't have any charges for using their ATMs.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:52 AM

This is a little aside for some people who had an aha moment when they checked their bank account. Intellectually, I knew I was taking out 250 Euro at a time but immediately thought in terms in $$. Was I shocked when I logged onto my bank account while in Italy and realized I didn't have as much left in my account as I was mentally tallying. Guess all that wine made me a little foggy.