Reload this Page >

ATM/Debit card problem solved

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:14 PM
Julie

For all those people afraid of having their checking/savings account emptied while on vacation: Called my bank today and they don't handle plain ATM cards but will lower my POS part to $0.00. Which means, no one can buy anything with my Visa check card. But I can still get cash from an ATM machine. - Problem solved! - When I came back from Europe all I have to do is call them and I can change it back.<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:15 PM
GAC

What if you get kidnapped and forced to make daily withdrawals from the ATM? I'm NOT kidding!

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:17 PM
Christina

that's a very clever idea, actually if they won't give you an ATM card. Just one question, what is a "POS part"? I don't know what that means.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:27 PM
Julie

POS (point of sale)is the part were you can use our checking card to also make purchases without using a pin number. Which means when someone steals your card and uses it in a store (where you can also request cash beyond your amount of the purchase) they can clean out your checking account.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:31 PM
JOdy

SUPER SUGGESTION...I'm calling BofA tomorrow

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:31 PM
Vita

GAC, If you're serious, I would suggest limiting the balance on your account to how much you will need on your trip. Transfer everything else to accounts that aren't accessible by ATM. <BR><BR>I'm a superstitious person, so I won't say the idea of it happening is absurd, but I do find the idea laughable, mostly because I can't see anyone going through the bother for what I have in MY account.

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:13 PM
GAC

Vita, that EXACTLY what I do!!!!!!!!!!! The kidnapping story is not a fantasy: it actually happened to someone in some foreign country. I read about it in a major US paper. I agree it's far fetched, but not impossible. Stranger things have happened. P.S.: How does the kidnapper know that you have only a small balance in your account?

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:48 PM
clairobscur

Sure...what if you're kidnapped? And what if your plane crash? I'm not kidding, it happened. And what if you slip on a banana's peel and kill yourself? What if you won the lottery and left your winning ticket at home? What if your wife/husband assassinate you to benefit from your life insurance policy? What if a meteor crash on paris while you're there?<BR><BR>There are limits to the kind of possible situations one must consider when planning a trip. Yes, you could be kidnapped while in vacations. But personnally, in this situation, the balance of my bank account would be amonst the things which would worry me the less.

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:55 PM
Joe

Julie,<BR>Get your head on straight.<BR>You said that your bank does not issue "plain ATM cards"<BR>Therefore, etc,etc.<BR>Run don't walk to the nearest bank that will issue a "plain" ATM card.<BR>Did you know when buying from a POS using your debit card, that you have two options-Push the debit button or push the credit button.--Either way- money is taken out of your checking account.<BR>The banks want you to push the credit button (enter your pin number) because there is a higher transaction fee imposed. If you push the debit button (no pin number), your money will still be deducted from your account, but with a no or lower fee.<BR>Run, don't walk to a bank that still issues "plain" ATM cards.<BR>"PROBLEM SOLVED"? I don't think so.

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:56 PM
xxx

Actually, GAC is correct, and it happens quite commonly in Mexico City. What happens is a person is kidnapped shortly before midnite and forced to make the maximum withdrawal from an ATM. Shortly after midnite they are forced to do it again and then released.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:01 PM
Joe

Sorry Julie,<BR>Typo. Entering Pin number incurs less cost by the POS.<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:08 PM
CarrieT.

Julie,<BR>Doesn't it just make more sense to obtain a straight ATM which requires a PIN then YOU have the option of using it for purchases or using it to withdrawl cash only??<BR>Bank of America and Wells Fargo (I have accounts at both) gave me no trouble converting to a straight ATM. I can purchase items etc. just like a debit card, the only difference is that I am required to ALWAYS ENTER A PIN. These cards have worked great for me worldwide with no problem.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:11 PM
Julie

To Joe: I believe you have misunderstood me. I asked my bank to not allow anyone to make any POS transacion with or without pin number on my Visa check card. The only thing I can use it for now is to withdraw cash from my checking account at an ATM machine anywhere in the world. In other words: if anyone steals my card it will be useless unless they also have my pin number. When I come back and I want to use it to also buy things at a store all I have to do is call my bank.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:52 PM
pin#

Julie-Great suggestion. I had an ATM only card for years, which recently got damaged. When I tried replacing it at my local bank, 2 bank employees literally laughed at me when I told them I didn't want a debit card, just a replacement ATM. Not possible-they only provide ATM cards. Your suggestion of lowering POS funds to zero is great-thanks for sharing the suggestion.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:55 PM
pin#

oops, meant to say bank only issues DEBIT cards, not replacement ATM cards...but you would have figured that out!

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:26 PM
Gramps

I believe this "we only issue Debit cards" is a lie. Today I was told by my bank that they absolutely, positively don't issue straight ATM cards, ONLY debit cards. I was so furious and was prepared to close my account as well as our LARGE business account (managing large apartment buildings). When they heard this, suddenly the Branch Manager became very accommodating to me. She tried to talk me out of getting a straight ATM but I stuck to my guns and I prevailed. I think they train all the employees (even the employees may really belive this) to tell customers that they only offer Debit cards but this was a lie in my case. There are plenty of banks out there that do offer straight ATM cards (I was very much prepared to go elsewhere), don't let these banks get away with this big money making scheme of theirs!

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:41 PM
Kay

Colonial Bank will gladly issue you a ATM/Debit card or a plain ATM card. All I had to do was walk in and ask for one. They offered me either one when I got my debit card. When I went in and asked for an ATM only, they issued it on the spot and let me set a daily withdrawal limit. No problem. I don't work there. Kay

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:50 PM
get

I am now totally confused .....asd I think many others are too. In some states only debit( with visa, etc) are issued...some banks offer differnet options..So therefore you can only assume to do what YOUR bank, In YOUR STATE , in YOUR circumstance wishes. There is no use quoting rules and regs that you know exsist for your card when it may not apply to someone elsewhere.CALL YOUR BANK!

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:06 PM
Jo

Joe, I'm confused.<BR><BR>In Australia, using EFTPOS with your card, you have to key in your pin. Using credit, you don't - apparently the opposite of your experience.

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:10 PM
marcie

Ok, you're right...different states may do different things. I can speak for 3 states as I have accounts in all 3 (I've moved,a long story). In all 3 of the following states, you can get a STRAIGHT ATM card, without any debit logo stuff:<BR>1. California<BR>2. Nevada<BR>3. New York<BR>(well that's 3 out of 50, let's hear from others)??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -