Atlanta GTG, done....and fun!!!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Judi

Atlanta GTG, done....and fun!!!

We met on Sunday at Judyrem and John's lovely home for a meet and greet, then on to a Mexican restaurant for dinner. What a great bunch of people! It is interesting how a group of strangers can form an instant bond. Half of us are going to Italy within the next seven weeks and Peg is off to Paris. In attendance were Judyrem and John, Wes and Nuby Fowler, Joe, Gail, Bob the Nav, Ila and Larry, Peg and Steve, JoAnn, Jo, Paul and myself. I will post when the pictures are on Sally's Fodorite site. Some people brought photos. Wes is not only a great story teller but also a great photographer. We plan to have another GTG in a few months and hope that those who missed this one will be there. It was a lot of fun!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:47 AM
Book Chick

Judi, <BR>Thanks for sharing this. I got onto the board for a short time yesterday & it occured to me that you guys were meeting & that my personal hero (I'm actually not being sarcastic) Bob the Nav would be there. Glad you guys could do this & sounds like a good time was had by all! <BR>BC

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 09:34 AM
DellVecc

Yes it was alot of fun. Some great stories, great pictures and absolutely great people. I'm the first of the group to leave for Italy, I'm going on Thrusay!! <BR> <BR>Ciao.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Gail

Ditto all of the above! It's so nice to meet people who are as obsessed about travel as I am. And to be able to "travel talk" for hours was so fun. <BR> <BR>And, how nice to put faces to names. Please join us next time we meet - we want to hear about YOUR trips, too. <BR> <BR>Thanks again to Judy and John for hosting; buon viaggio to Joe leaving "first" for Italy this week, and to me leaving "second" for Italy next week! WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!! <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Judy

Hello Atlanta Fodorites + Bob, sometimes the hostess does not enjoy her own event, that was not so yesterday! I had a wonderful time and I loved meeting all you travel addicts. <BR>Looking forward to more fun get togethers. Joe(our adopted youngster&gt;g&lt, have a great time with your family in Italy. Peg's Citroen, was sooo cool. You just have to smile when you see it! Thanks for bringing it over Peg! <BR> Judi peachpit, this was your baby, and it was fun....you go girl! <BR>Judy

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Ila

The Report..... <BR>What a marvelous, diverse, interesting and friendly group of people! Our mutual passion for travel seemed to ignite the same good comraderie as on the board. It was such a kick to meet some of you whose posts appear regularly. Not a single [email protected] showed up at this event (or they were thoroughly disguised). I encourage all of you out there to try these GTG's. Especially if you're a transplant (like us, from L.A.) and want to meet new people in town. <BR> <BR>I hope to do one at my place within 6 months - will keep you posted. I have a couple photos (short download time: low resolution camera); if anyone wants them, email me &lt;[email protected]&gt; <BR>Thanks for your hospitality, Judy and John! <BR>Hi, BookChick! Love your posts, and Bob the heroic Nav was indeed a delight! <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Rex

To Joe - - and to Gail - - <BR> <BR>"We" are leaving Sep 19 - - and our trip actually contains 5 of 7 travelers who hail from Georgia; regrettably none could attend yesterday. <BR> <BR>Any interest in a meet-up? <BR> <BR>Here's our general itinerary: <BR> <BR>Arrive Milan Sep 20 am <BR>Train immediately to Florence <BR>In Florence Sep 20 pm to Sep 22 noon <BR>Sep 22 drive to (villa on) Lake Garda <BR>Sep 25-26 an overnighter in Venice <BR>(returning to villa) <BR>Sep 28 a meet-up in Verona(?) <BR>Sep 29 train from Verona to Rome <BR>Sep 29 to end Rome <BR>(I depart Oct 1, others Oct 3) <BR> <BR>For more info on the context of our trip, see www.rexbickers.italy.com - - and look for our Fodors' pins!! <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex Bickers <BR>Westerville, Ohio <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 11:53 AM
s.fowler

I've got some pictures of the GTG -- will try to get them on the "fodorite" site this evening

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:06 PM
DellVecc

Rex, <BR> <BR>I thought you were going to be at the wine tasting bar in Rome on the 19th? I'm also flying into Milan and going to Florence, when you arrive I will already be in Rome. Heard ALOT about you. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip. <BR> <BR>Joe

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Rex

No, joe - - that "September in Italy" thread got somewhat dominated (and I don't mean that in any negative way) by the GTG on the 19th - - the wine bar in Rome. Are you involved in that? I could have/should have looked to see, I guess. But my post to that thread spoke of these other cities, other dates. <BR> <BR>And you heard a LOT about me huh? Should my ears be burning? <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:10 PM
DellVecc

No, I wasn't involved in the planning of it, I may just go if I can make the time, (in reality if I can find the place.) Your ears may have been ringing alittle bit yesterday, but it was all good. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Joe

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:48 PM
s.fowler

2 pictures of the GTG are up -- thanks to Judi [and thanks to Judyrem for the names!] <BR> <BR>There is also a new picture of the first London GTG. <BR> <BR>Usual place -- http://geocities.com/dhfsbf/fodorite/fodor.htm

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Gail

Hi Rex - Looks like we'll just be passing each other by - we arrive in Rome on the 20th, train to Cortona on the 29th, on to Sorrento on Oct. 7th, and home to Atlanta on the 15th. But, I'll be wearing my pin, too, so if anyone sees me, please say "hello"! <BR> <BR>And yes, your name did come up at the GTG yesterday (along with many others). You have been very helpful to many of us. Our trips are so much richer because of the experiences and research of the travelers on this board. <BR> <BR>Thanks to everyone here who makes it easier and more rewarding for us to "follow our bliss". <BR> <BR>Buon viaggio to all. <BR> <BR>Gail

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 03:38 PM
Susan

To all of you, <BR> <BR>Great looking group!! And I love the car!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:11 PM
wes fowler

Re the car in the photo: It's a Citreon 2CV with an absolutely wonderful and appropriate Georgia vanity license plate, namely: ESCARGO

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Lily

I am so, so sorry that I wasn't able to attend. I had every intention of being there, and then had to go to another function that ended up running later than expected. You guys look fabulous, and I truly hope we'll do it again. I won't miss it next time! It is clear that I missed out on a lovely evening. And Sally, thanks for getting the picture posted in such a timely fashion. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:31 PM
Judi

Lily, you were missed. I hope to see you in Florence! <BR>We had such a good time that I'm sure we will get together again soon.