Athens virus

Apr 25th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Sandy

Athens virus

Had anyone heard of an unknown virus that has closed down schools in Athens, Greece? Also I heard that people were being told to avoid populated areas. If you have any info, please email me. I am taking a group of students there soon.

Apr 26th, 2002, 04:35 AM
EU

I don´t think I know any more than you do. This is a rough translation from today´s newspaper:

More strange virus infections in Greece (title)

Athens. Thursday there were five new virus infections, which caused schools, universities and kindergartens to close. But the officials have announced that there are less new infections, so virus is apparently slowing down.

The virus causes symptoms of influenza, and 41 people have fallen ill during last week. Out of them three have died because of infection of heart muscle.

The virus is still unidentified, but there are suspicions that it belongs to the group of enteroviruses. It is known that it spreads through body fluids and toilet seats.

Apr 26th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Sandy

Thanks for the help. If anyone else hears anything, please let me know. This just sounds so strange and there is little-to-no information available as far as I've been able to find other than a newspaper story. Seems strange that it's not making more news in the U.S.

Apr 26th, 2002, 04:02 PM
mark

I saw a brief story on the 10 pm news a couple nights ago here in NYC but have not seen anything else about it .

Apr 28th, 2002, 06:22 PM
Vera

I typed Athens virus into Google's advanced search section for news from the last week and came up with a bunch of articles. The virus has been identified, the number of reported cases is dropping and regular activities have been resumed, except that schools are out for two week Easter vacation, anyhow.
Vera

Apr 29th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Sandy

Thanks so much for the info and concern. Glad it's seemingly over and I can rest easy and enjoy my trip next month!