Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens to Kalamata - but where to stay en-route??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying, two adults and three young-ish kids, at the Westin Resort in Costa Navarino near Kalamata in August. As a family we are flying into Athens then making our way by car to the hotel. I'm hoping that someone on the forum could recommend a place en-route - am thinking a pretty town and something with charming and comfortable accommodation in the Peloponnese?? - or any other ideas?
Also, am I right in thinking the drive to the hotel will take about four hours?
Thank you.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 04:12 AM

Hi emmaij,
I live near Kalamata, & yes you are right that it should take around 4 hrs for the journey, varying of course at different times of day & year.
To help suggestions, what month, day & time are you due to land? Is it off a transatlantic, or from somewhere in Europe? All this will have a bearing on how far to attempt to go before you break for the night, or whether you even need to.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 04:14 AM

Sorry, just seen that it's in August! Is it before or after the 20th?
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 04:17 AM

i think you should pick up your car and drive all the way to Costa Navarino ( which is a fabulous hotel btw).
It is not so far away from Athens, and it can be reached in aprx 4 hours.
If you wish to overnight somewhere en route i could only recommend Nafplio, the only Hotel similar to Costa Navarino would be the Nafplia Palace Hotel in Nafplio.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 04:29 AM

yiassas you live in a wonderful area, may i ask where ?
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Hi Yiassas and Clausar
Thank you for your replies.
We are flying from England, Yiassis, arriving before the 20th. Perhaps no need to break for the night - though I have allowed for the night's break in my schedule.
I have heard that Nafplio is beautiful and well worth a visit Clausar - so certainly a place to consider. Thank you for that reccommendation.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 08:10 AM

The period between the 1st and 25th of August is the absolute top high season in Greece. Most places such as Nafplio will be full, hotels are expected to be fully booked. If you want to secure space at a hotel, you should act fast.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 08:14 AM

Clausar, I am in Petalidi!
Emma, as you are only coming from England I would recommend you drive all the way.
Staying over in Nafplion is a good choice, but if you are just doing the one night it will leave little, or no time, for seeing the town & the large choice of sites in the area. I'm not sure it's worth the diversion, especially if you don't land until later in the day, as I said, a great place, but you won't see it. If you land in the morning, then maybe the afternoon to explore a bit, as well as the next morning, then set off for Costa Navarino at lunchtime would work. If you land later then I would look at the Isthmia area (Close to the Corinth Canal), a shorter diversion for what will then amount to somewhere for just a few hours & then to sleep.
If you do decide to take a night's break then book asap, this is the height of the Greek (& Italian) holiday season & anywhere decent will get booked up, no winging at this time of year!
Here's some photos of the local area for some ideas of where you might want to visit once you are at Costa Navarino. Some new photos added yesterday,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yiassas...7624647870023/
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 08:47 AM

great pics yiassas!!!... Petalidi is such a great place.. have many friends in the greater area and i'll be later in July in Finikounta.
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. So helpful - and fantastic pics yiassas - really whetted my appetite for our trip to Costa Navarino and things to do and see.