Athens to Crete-Flight Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Continuing to refine our itenerary for Greece in late September, 08 with specific questions for all the great experts who frequent this board and aid us inexperienced travelers to Greece.

We are flying into Athens from CDG (connection from the US) on Sept. 24, arriving at 1:50. Checking flights to Chania, options are Olympic at 3:05 or 6:45 for 50 euros, or Aegean at 2:34 (31 euros) or 7:30 (10 euros). We are staying near Rhetymnon and friends are picking us up at the airport. I hate to waste time in the airport or arrive at our hosts later than needed, but am worried about having enough time to transfer and the 10 euro fare is tempting (thinking: more euros for dining, wine and shopping). I read on a post that Olympic transfers luggage, but from an Air France flight booked separately I'm not sure how that would work. Help??
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 03:40 AM

Cindy, I've read this three times and I just don't understand.

You arrive at 1.50 (am? pm?- it does matter). You want to go to Chania with either Olympic or Aegean.

With Olympic, the options are both 50 euros, and the flights are either 1 hour and 5 minutes later or 4 hours 55 minutes later. IF it's the middle of the night you might well make the first, so long as you can check in in advance. We have certainly done something similar out of London. You will definitely make the second whether it's morning or afternoon.

With Aegean, the flights are 44 minutes later for 31 euros or 5 hours 40 later for 10 euros. You haven't a hope in any circumstances of catching the first, and will have no difficulty catching the second.

Where do you clear Customs? If in Paris, the above applies. If in Athens, you can forget the short Olympic connection.

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 04:54 AM

You must mean PM, as there are no domestic flights leaving before 5AM, as far as I know.

Even with customs and immigration clearance at Paris, the earlier flights are just too close for comfort. The 2:34pm Aegean flight is out of the question. The 3:05pm Olympic flight might just be possible if nothing goes wrong. But if you have to check in with Olympic Airlines at Athens, be aware that lines at the domestic flight counters are sometimes long.

Now for the later flights: if I could save €40 per person by waiting an extra 45 minutes, that's what I would do.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both and sorry about the confusing post. Yes, I mean that we arrive at 1:50 p.m. (13:50). When we booked over the phone with Northwest airlines they said we wouldn't have to go through customs in Paris and that our luggage would be checked through to Athens. So I guess we would need to clear in Athens? I'm sorry I'm so dense about this, but my only international travel has been directly from US to either Paris or Amsterdam, with no intermediate stops. Either way, I guess the safest and cheapest thing is to wait for the later flight on Aegean. Maybe we'll find something interesting to do in the Athens airport.

Brotherleelove, Frozen North Dave and Travererjan: where for art tho? I crave your Greek expertise!
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Later plane cindyj.

Bring some good paperbacks along... you spend a lot of time reading in Greece, probably more than u do at home. Waiting for ferries, riding on ferries, relaxing in hotel after dinner (because of 15 TV channel the only one in English is a 1975 movie where all the guys have plaid suits).

So get in the reading mode on arrival day. PS: when u finish a paperback u often can trade -- English books are valued!!