Reload this Page >

Athens or Rome for easter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 02:18 PM
grant

I am having difficulty deciding on whether to head to Greece or Italy this easter. I would like to hear what you think. I have researched both areas extensively but would just like some honest opinions about which city was more enchanting.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Grasshopper

Enchanting isn't a word I would use for Athens, although I liked it a lot more than most people I know. If you haven't been to either I would pick Rome. Rome IS enchanting. If you do a search you will find a description someone used once back in December comparing it to Paris. Rome is very special.<BR><BR>Athens on the other hand is really interesting but it requires an acquired taste. And while Athens is great for 3 or 4 days, the real treasures of Greece are beyond Athens in Delphi and Meteora and the islands.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Joe

I've been to Rome three times and Athens once, and if I had to choose I'd pick Athens. It doesn't seem popular with many posters here, but I found the Acropolis and the Agora the most extraordinary places I've visited. And I liked the rest of the city - - as much as I saw - - as well. I was there in October and the weather was great, with blue skies and white clouds. By all accounts, the weather isn't usually that good, although friends who went in April reported similar conditions.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Marc David Miller

It might affect your decision either way, but remember that the Orthodox celebrate Easter according to a different calendar.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Sue

Hi,<BR><BR>I love Greece, but Easter is very early this year and it will not be that warm in Greece or Italy. Greece needs hot weather and beutiful ocean water to be appreciated. Because it was occupied for many years, Greece missed the Renaissance. It went from classical Greece to 1950. The ruins of ancient and classical Greece are fabulous, espcially when you can rest on the beach in the afternoon. Of coarse Italy is the Renaissance and there is more to see inside (muesums, art galleries) on a cool or rainy day. Rome is more expensive during Easter and the hotels can fill up. Also look into how much of the city closes for Easter and for how long. Greek Easter is not until May 5. So Athens will be open. Have a great time.

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Thyra

Personally, I would choose Rome. I found Athens to be, in some ways much better then I had expected, and in some ways much worse! Rome is wonderful, I could return over and over again, though I doubt I will ever return to Athens.<BR>It could have something to do with the food... I am mad for Italian but Greek food leaves me cold...lol

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 05:38 PM
April

I sure agree with you about the food, Thyra. I went to Athens but wished I'd gone to Rome.