Search

Athens - info?

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Athens - info?

We are visiting Athens for a few days soon. Can anyone tell me - is the new Acropolis Museum opened yet? Can't seem to find any up-to-date info on this. Has anyone stayed at the Adams Hotel in Plaka - any comments and tips on eating and nightlife Greek style for two fifty-somethings? Would we like the Stoa Athenaton?
Thanks
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:57 PM

You'll have a great time staying in the Plaka. Plenty of fun and lots to see and do. The Greeks have a party atmosphere to their beautiful city, and you'll have a great time. Most speak English too, so it's pretty easy to get around -- the only trick is the occasional street sign that's hard to translate.

My understanding is the new Acropolis museum is open. They've done a lot of work for the Games last summer (it was a construction zone when we were there in 2003, but the subway system was so new you could eat off the floors).

The only downside to Athens is the visible pollution. It makes you feel like you've been smoking all day. If you're a ex/smoker, you'll know what I mean, if you've never smoked, you'll find out how it feels to be one. Go up to sites that require a view early in the day to get the best views without the smog you'll see at the end of the day.

Lycobettus Hill has a funicular that's fun to go up. A nice restaurant and a tiny church sits atop and you can see the whole city including the Parthenon. The walk up to the funicular is fun too as it will take you through some urban neighborhoods that don't see as many tourists as the Plaka. Beautiful.

Have fun,

Julie

Old May 18th, 2005, 02:39 PM

No betty! The new Acropolis is not opened yet. In fact it is still in an early constraction phase, and noone knows when it will finish! The good news is that the biggest museum in greece, and one of the most important museums in the world, the Archaeological Museum is open after 2 years of renovation. I have visited it, and I must say they made a good job there (be prepared to see lots of statues...)
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:57 PM

For something light and fresh, try Cafe Neon off of Syntagma Sq. It's not grand, you serve yourself, but all the locals eat there, and it has an unpretentious atmosphere, the food is practically free, and it's very easy.

Or going to the other extreme....dine at Hotel Grande Bretagne for something altogether grander. Their Winter Garden is packed with locals, as our their other restaurants.
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the useful info about Athens - any comments on the Stoa Athanaton or Adams Hotel?