Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

An overnight in Cesky Krumlov or an extra night in Fussen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:08 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our itinerary so far:
4 nights Munich
4 nights Prague
1 night Cesky Krumlov
4 nights Salzburg
1 night Fussen
1 last night in Munich before flying out early am

My question is should we just do Cesky Krumlov as a daytrip when we drive from Prague to Salzburg and add an additional night to Fussen or keep it the way it is.

We will be renting a car once we leave Munich for the duration of the trip. We will be driving from Salzburg to Fussen, spending the night in Fussen and then leaving the next day in the early evening to drive to a hotel near the Munich airport.

In the roughly two days we have from Salzburg to Munich (with the one night in Fussen) I would like to see Garmisch and do the gondola ride up the Zugspitze as well as Neuschweinstein and Hohenschwangau Castles.

For those who have been to that part of German AND to Cesky Krumlov, just wondering if I should trade off the full night in Cesky for more time in Fussen. Just looking for other's opinions.

Thanks!

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:24 PM

I'm not sure I understand your question about doing CK as a daytrip on a day when you are driving from Prague to Salzburg. DO you mean should you just stop in for a half hour or so on that drive?

Four nights in Salzburg is a lot, but CK isn't that close to it. I guess you could do it as a daytrip from there, it's 2.5 to 3 hours by car, I think. As long as the weather is nice so you don't might driving, maybe that's not a bad idea.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Christina - yes, I did mean stopping in Cesky on our way from Prague to Salzburg. According to Michelin the drive from Prague to Cesky is 2hrs. and 40 min. and the drive from Cesky to Salzburg is the same. I figured if we left around 8:30am we'd be there by 11:30 and could stay until about 5pm getting to Salzburg around 8pm. We will be there in late June so weather and sunlight should not be a problem.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM

I wouldn't do that myself, it seems like too long a day. Also, I think that driving time is a little optimistic. I've been in a bus from Prague to CK, and I think it took longer than 2:40. I do not care to be driving very late in the day in an area I don't know searching for a hotel, either. But, if you don't mind those things, it can be done.

I've done it in a day trip by car from Prague, so the driving time was about the same, and enjoyed the time I spent there (about five hours). But I wasn't the driver and the driver knew where they were going, and there wasn't a hotel search issue.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM

I would stop for the night in Krumlov. It felt a little crowded at times during the day but was magical at night once the day trippers had gone.

Please give the beer cellar or papa's living restaurant a try whille you're there.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Both Fussen and Cesky Krumlov are delightful places.

For myself, because there are so many attractions in the Fussen area I would prefer to have any extra night there if possible.

CK is small enough to see the main sites and get a feel of the place in an afternoon. However I don't know how croweded it potentially gets which could get detract from that experience. It certainly wasn't crowded at all when we were there last May, but if you are travelling peak season that could well be a factor.

If you are willing to put with a very long day's travel, to do CK as a drive by might make sense. It also means that you will not have any one night stops in the trip, whereas with original itinerary yoo have two one night stops. Just means a bit less packing/repacking etc.

I don't know whether you have booked your flights or not yet. Have you considered open jaw tickets. Fly into Prague and out of Munich so there is a bit less travel involved. You would be up for a one way drop off fee on the car but if you look around it might not be too bad. It cost us less than USD200 for our drop off fee on a one way hire from Prague to Budapest last year. I also think that you might find the drop off fees might be less doing Prague/Munich rather than vice versa.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:03 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really like one night stops either, thus my question. On the other hand the drive from Prague to Salzburg with several hours in Cesky would be a long day. I thought about the open jaw, but we are using frequent flier miles that require a RT ticket. With the price of tickets and four of us travelling it is worth driving just a bit more.

I am considering just adding another day, but have already done that once as we were originally considering just 14 nights - hubby does have to get back to work sometime=)!!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Another consideration might be to instead drop a night from Salzburg. It is a wonderful city, but I think 3 nights there might be enough to see all the major attractions. That would allow you to both stay the night in CK and add an extra night to Fussen.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Cesky Krumlov during the day is a totally different place than early in the morning or evening (as are many places but more evident in CK). I would try to experience it early or evening to avoid crowds. Therefore I would try to add a night there - so worth it. As much as we enjoy Fussen we would choose CK over it.

Like msteacher's idea of staying 3 nights in Salzburg. It is a wonderful place but so are the others!
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM

Since you'll be there in June, I'd stay overnight in Cesky Krum, and look into attending a concert. There is a concert series, and major musicians come to play there. The town is charming & romantic, and I'm sure you will find plenty to do.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM

I agree---stay the nite in CK and steal a day fron Salzburg to add to Fussen. Or, steal the day from Munich--but not Prague.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 01:13 PM

Another fan of Cesky Krumlov here. It's worth the time. Make the overnight stop.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Stay in CK for the night - it is magical.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 09:59 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I have decided to keep the overnight in Cesky Krumlov and will just do the one night in Fussen. From everything I've read it shouldn't be that difficult to see what we want in those two days - especially since many do the castles or Zugspitze as daytrips from Munich. While the drive from Salzburg to Garmisch is a bit longer if we get an early start it shouldn't be too bad.

I considered dropping a night from Salzburg, but when I made my list of things to do in the region it really seemed like we could use all the days. I think we will also use it as our more relaxing time - maybe even allowing some sleeping in!!