Athens - Corfu - Cyclades

May 16th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Nic

Athens - Corfu - Cyclades

My cousin and I (both 26yrs) are going to Greece end of July and are considering visiting Corfu while we are there. Is it too much of a hassle to go from Athens to Corfu and then Corfu to the first island port?
We would like to do Mykonos, Santorini (a must for us) and then also Ios, Paros and Naxos.

Also, can anyone tell us the ferry route between these islands. Ie. Dow e fly from Corfu to Mykonos or to another island first?

Thanks fellow fodorites, Nic.

May 18th, 2001, 05:04 AM
Monica

Hi Nic,

I returned from Greece on Monday. I can't make a suggestion about Corfu. You may want to check and see if there are flights from Corfu to Santorini (maybe via Athens). We flew to Athens, changed planes and flew to Santorini. Stayed 3 nights. Loved it there. Then we took the ferry to Naxos (3 nights), then to Paros, also 3 nights, then the ferry to Piraeus.

In a recent posting of mine, I wrote:
Boats between islands were inexpensive. From Santorini to Naxos, we paid about $33. To Paros: $8. To Athens (5 hour ride): $29.

We didn't get to Mykonos because of the boat schedules. But in July you shouldn't have a problem getting there.

I hope this helps!

Monica

May 18th, 2001, 05:06 AM
Monica

Hi Nic,

I returned from Greece on Monday. I can't make a suggestion about Corfu. You may want to check and see if there are flights from Corfu to Santorini (maybe via Athens), although it may be time consuming. You may want to save Corfu for another trip.

We flew to Athens, changed planes and flew to Santorini. Stayed 3 nights. Loved it there. Then we took the ferry to Naxos (3 nights), then to Paros, also 3 nights, then the ferry to Piraeus.

In a recent posting of mine, I wrote:
Boats between islands were inexpensive. From Santorini to Naxos, we paid about $33. To Paros: $8. To Athens (5 hour ride): $29.

We didn't get to Mykonos because of the boat schedules. But in July you shouldn't have a problem getting there.

I hope this helps!

Monica

May 18th, 2001, 05:16 AM
Ursula

Nic: First of all, Corfou is in the Adriatic Sea, opposite Otranto/South of Italy. One can see to the coast of Albania.
I doubt whether there are ferries to the Cyclades. If, yes it must be a long trip through the Canal of Corinthe (sp?) and going via Athens.
Sorry, cannot tell you whether are direct inland flight from Corfou to any of the Cyclades. I guess not and suppose one has to change in Athens.
BTW: Stayed in Corfou some 15 years ago. It reminded me rather of Italy. It's not one of these smalltypical cyclades island with white houses. But nice.
How long is your stay? If only 2 weeks, I would drop Corfou and go to Mykonos, Santorini, Ios, Paros and Naxos as you mentioned.
Whatever you decide, have great trip!

May 23rd, 2001, 01:19 PM
Nic

Thanks for the tips. We are going for 3 weeks so we will be staying in Corfu for 1 full week. There are no flights from Corfu to any of the islands so we are flying in and out of Athens and then to the islands.
Can you help with the ferries. We want to book Mykonos hotels but we don't know when we will be there bc we don't know whether it is the first stop. Our plan is Corfu for 1 week, and then Mykonos, Paros, Naxos, Ios and Santorini for 2 weeks. However, I don't know the ferry route ... is Mykonos the first stop, HELP!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Nic.