Reload this Page >

Athens at Midnight - dangerous?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 05:06 AM
Eve

I am flying into Athens at midnight (two females) and am wondering how dangerous it is. Where is the best place to get a hotel? I am planning on going to the port early the next morning and get a hydrofoil to Mykonos.

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 10:42 AM
Art

Hi, thot I'd brint this to the top. I was in Athans 2 years ago and I would say it depends on what part of the city your in. People stay up late in the old part of the city, but when I strayed to unfamular areas I got a little nervous and I'm male 6'4". Hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in. <BR>Art <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 10:49 AM
lottie

I have flown into Athens many times after midnight, and have always felt comfortable. Taxis are readily available at the airport taxi stand, and I just generally grab a cab to a downtown hotel. The most important thing is to have solid hotel reservations when you are arriving so late. One time I didn't get to the hotel until around 2 a.m. and they had sold my hotel room. After a lot of screaming an yelling on my part (honestly, an effective method in Greece), the hotel got me a room at a sister hotel a block away (had I not thrown a fit, I would have been out on the street). SO--bottom line is that as long as your hotel reservation is rock solid, you shouldn't have a problem at all. Good luck!

Old Jul 27th, 2000, 11:57 AM
eva

thank you both! Eva

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 12:29 AM
April

I was with my husband, mind you, but we never felt unsafe in Athens. We wandered around the Plaka and on the Acropolis hillside at night and found it romantic, not scary. We also walked to Omonia Square at 4:00 am. Early morning Athens is quite nice with the smell of freshly baked bread (bagels or whatever they sell on the street) in the air. <BR> <BR>Someone told us there were pickpockets at the Acropolis but we didn't notice any. Our only "rip-offs" were from taxi drivers.