Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Atélier des Lumières: Paris or Les Baux?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2019, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in France in Sept, with a few days in Paris and also a few days in Provence. We were planning on seeing AdL in Paris, but I can't seem to have time to fit it in, there's so much else we want to see there.

The alternative is to see in in Les Baux, on our drive from Aigues Mortes to Gordes. Is there parking close by on Les Baux? We will have all our bags in the car, would it be wise to park the car there for a few hours? Thanks.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 09:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Les Baux is better than the place in Paris. It has a parking lot no more than 100 meters from the place (sometimes full in high season, but you can find other places not too far away). I wouldn't worry about your bags if they are out of sight, but don't sue me if something happens. After all, every single car parked there will be a tourist car.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

If we go to see it in Les Baux, we'll be there at maybe 10 am, so hopefully parking will not be an issue. We won't know about the car until we get it, but I hope bags will be out of sight. I know for Paris they recommend tickets in advance, is the same true for Les Baux, too?
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 09:49 AM

No problem at all at Les Baux. No need for advance tickets and 10 a.m. means absolutely no problem for parking. Some people require at least a light sweater to visit (I don't) because the whole place is the temperature of a wine cellar.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Sounds perfect, thanks a lot!
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 10:39 AM

The road going through Les Baux is sort of a mountain pass at Les Baux. You see cars parked along the side quite a ways away from the center. There are multiple smallish parking lots near the Carrières de Lumières so don't depair if you don't find a space at the first one you see. There is also a parking lot just below the Les Baux castle, but that requires quite a trek up and down from the Carrières de Lumières . Look at the Google map satellite view to get a sense of where people are parking their car. It goes on and on. If you are also visiting Les Baux castle, you can get a discount by buying a combo ticket to the castle and the Carrières de Lumières .
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

If we decide to see the show (exhibition?) in Les Baux, it will be just a quick stop for it only. We'll have to come back to this area, there is still so much we want to see and there's no way we can do it on this trip. So sadly, no castle visit this time. But good point about Google satellite view for parking, thanks.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 07:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xyz99
If we decide to see the show (exhibition?) in Les Baux, it will be just a quick stop for it only. We'll have to come back to this area, there is still so much we want to see and there's no way we can do it on this trip. So sadly, no castle visit this time. But good point about Google satellite view for parking, thanks.
Really? The town of Les Baux doesn't require more than an hour to stroll around. Unless you plan to have a leisurely lunch. I didn't bother going to the castle ruins. And the Van Gogh exhibit is only 20-30 minutes or so from what I've read. I can't imagine it is any longer than the Masters of the Renaissance exhibit that I saw.

Last edited by joannyc; Jul 18th, 2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joannyc
Really? The town of Les Baux doesn't require more than an hour to stroll around. Unless you plan to have a leisurely lunch. I didn't bother going to the castle ruins. And the Van Gogh exhibit is only 20-30 minutes or so from what I've read. I can't imagine it is any longer than the Masters of the Renaissance exhibit that I saw.
Ohh, I did not realize that the town is so small, and I read that we should budget 2 hrs for Van Gogh. Now it seems we might have time for both, fantastic! Thanks.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 12:41 PM

Hi,

We just got back from Paris where we saw the AdL - we found it disappointing compared to the show we had seen in Les Baux a few years ago - the space is an old foundry which is much smaller. There were way too many people in the space. We much preferred the quarry which was massive and a more impressive space for the digital art.

Enjoy the show!
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by jacolis
Hi,

We just got back from Paris where we saw the AdL - we found it disappointing compared to the show we had seen in Les Baux a few years ago - the space is an old foundry which is much smaller. There were way too many people in the space. We much preferred the quarry which was massive and a more impressive space for the digital art.

Enjoy the show!
So sorry to read this! I have been looking forward to it in September.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Enjoy the show!
I guess the show in Les Baux looks better and better. Too bad you did not enjoy it (or maybe not enjoyed it much), and thanks for letting me know.
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 05:50 PM

The Les Baux venue is very large and so impressive. My impression is that there is a little walk from the parking area (sorry, it was a few years ago, and we went by way of a small tour van). You'll enjoy it!
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by burta
The Les Baux venue is very large and so impressive. My impression is that there is a little walk from the parking area (sorry, it was a few years ago, and we went by way of a small tour van). You'll enjoy it!
In Les Baux, I parked in a lot directly across the road from the ticket office/entrance, if I recall correctly. But, I drove, wasn't on a tour.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 03:44 AM

Hi Joanne,

We still enjoyed the show - it's just that having compared it with Les Baux we didn't enjoy it as much because of the space and the amount of people. I dont know what is showing in Les Baux but there were 3 different pieces in Paris - Van Gogh and two smaller pieces. We were in the space about an hour to see all 3.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Hi Joanne,
I dont know what is showing in Les Baux but there were 3 different pieces in Paris - Van Gogh and two smaller pieces. We were in the space about an hour to see all 3.
I think the same shows is featured at both venues.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 04:33 AM

Culturespaces might not want to put any extra money into the Carrières de Lumières because the 8-year legal battle by the original operator Cathédrale d'Images is finally coming to an end, and the original operator has won. They had lost the concession due to some shady deals between ultra rich Culturespaces and the municipal authorities of Les Baux-de-Provence.. As to how long the eviction will take, that is another question.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 03:01 PM

Hi Joanne,

We still enjoyed the show - it's just that having compared it with Les Baux we didn't enjoy it as much because of the space and the amount of people. I dont know what is showing in Les Baux but there were 3 different pieces in Paris - Van Gogh and two smaller pieces. We were in the space about an hour to see all 3.
Thanks very much, Jacolis! I enjoyed the Les Baux venue very much. I saw the Masters of the Renaissance exhibit there.
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 08:11 AM

Old Jul 24th, 2019, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

This looks amazing! Hopefully this will become a permanent venue (I guess Paris and Les Baux are permanent now, right?) and other countries will get inspired, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -