Reload this Page >

Asking For Advice: 1st time in Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 05:00 PM
Madeline

This may seem a little weird...next week (7/12/00) I will be in Prague for the first time and would like some advice as to: <BR>1) Must "do's" or "sees" in the city (I have 3 days) <BR>2) I'd like to try and go to some music concerts in the p.m....any advice? <BR>3) I am a l-d runner...safe?

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 05:29 PM
Maira

Prague is such an amazing city! I suggest you first take a half-day tour of the city to familiarize yourself and to pick and choose those sites you'll like to get a closer look. We arranged ours at the Hilton (we were not staying there) for about $15/pp. The guide was wonderful, the group was small, the van had A/C and was comfortable and it included a wonderful boat ride on the Vltava River while enjoying pastries and beverages. <BR> <BR>Must see I'll say are Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, Old town Square with the Old Astronomical Clock (have a pilsner at the cafe right across the clock) Wenceslas Square, the ancient Jewish ghetto, walk around Mala Strana (section lined with Baroque palaces and splendid houses), stay at Stare Mesto (Old town). Leave some space in your luggage for the fabulous bohemian crystal, beautiful garnet jewerly, delicate lace and linens, and wonderfully crafted woodwork. All at very, very good prices. You can get some serious Christmas shopping done. Three days in Prague is a tease.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 06:59 PM
Patricia

Splurge and take a carriage ride at night through the city. For us, it was very charming at night under the stars. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR>Patricia

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 05:05 AM
Nicole

You won't have any trouble finding music concerts at all. They are everywhere. Esp. since Prague is hosting a European Cultural festival this summer. Smaller concerts can be found in most churches in Old Town (St. Nicholas on Old Town Square comes to mind), or check out any of the theaters (Rudulfinum). For a listing, pick up a Prague Post (an English newspaper that includes a section in the middle of anything and everything happening). <BR> <BR>You will be safe running in Prague. Most crime there is pickpocketing/theft. I have never heard of anything violent. You will probably have more trouble from the exhaust of old trucks! <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Linda

Must do--Charles Bridge at night, half-day tour as mentioned before, walk around and look at architecture & astronomical clock. If you are there on Saturday, there's a flea market between the Charles Bridge & Wenceslas Square on one of the streets. The Symphony Hall has been redone & is quite nice & affordable. We got balcony box seats for $16 each. We did not have any problems, but do watch for pickpockets. We did wander safely outside the touristy area but, if you are alone, do your running where peole are around.

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 02:50 PM
Christina

You don't say where you are staying, but I'd recommend you go to a concert in the Hall of Mirrors in the Klementinum, this is a building on the main street leading off Chas. Bridge, just a little bit to the east. They do many very nice chamber music concerts there at 8 pm and not only is the interior well worth seeing, but it's a small venue and the acoustics are incredible (and I go to a lot of concerts). It's more casual, you don't have to dress up and you will likely have no trouble getting a ticket. The streets are also full of people around there, even late, so very safe and they are over earlier than in the big major concert halls, so might be safer for getting home if you are alone. They seemed to have the best programs in Prague, there are some concerts at the National Museum and the Cultural Center (Obecni dum) and the Rudolfinum (I think that's what somebody was referring to as Symphony Hall, I never heard it called that, so am not sure), but I think the Klementinum is best for repertoire unless you want to do the whole major symphony orchestra thing (then go to the Rudolfinum or Obecni dum). There are some in a church or two around Old Town square, their programs are not as adventurous or varied; I agree picking up the Prague Post is your best bet as soon as you get there.