Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Art lover?s draft Roman Holiday itinerary for New Years?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2004, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once or twice a year we select a major European city and spend a week devouring it. No time is spent traveling inter-city. We found that staying at different hotels within a city also adds to the experience. We appreciate having no crowds, lower prices, and a wide selection of theater opportunities during the winter months. Anything we miss will be seen the next time around. Our second time to Rome, the first time was with Perillo Tours back in 1999. We've been to many of the major sites and walked the neighborhoods. I would like to plan some nightlife action, such as opera or ballet, but I don?t see anything posted just yet. Let me know if you have any suggestion:

Wed International flight. FCO. train to Stazione Termini. Cab to Hotel Semraldo (4) nights. Nap, supper and take evening walk.

Thu To Vatican Museum in morning. I've requested a Scavi tour reservation. Tour St. Peter's, climb to top.

Fri Reservation for morning Borghese Gallery. Perhaps spend the afternoon at catacombs. Any suggestions on which catacombs to visit? Then get as close as possible for Midnight Mass at St. Peter?s. Any fireworks?

Sat New Years Day. Things to do? Dinner suggestions?

Sun Transfer to Relais Banchi Vecchi B&B (3) nights. Visit Palazzo Berberini (open hol -9 to 1). Perhaps, follow Rick Steve's? Pilgrimage tour? Is this doable on a Sunday?

Mon Suggestions? Walk Trastevere in the morning. In the afternoon walk the Roman Forum, Palatino, ...

Tue Visit Doria Pamphilj and shop in AM. To Galeria Spada, Palazzo Corsini in the Afternoon. Is any one familiar with these art museums? How long should one spend here. Normally, I'm the first one in a good art museum and the last to leave.

Wed Shuttle to FCO.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 11:38 AM

Many, many years ago, I visited the galleries in the Doria-Pamphilj and the Palazzo Corsini. I'm not fond of Mannerism and the Baroque, so I was not particularly taken by either. To my shame, I've never set foot in the Galleria Spada (although I did look at the "perspectivo" that is no longer attributed to Bernini).

The Galleria Borghese and the Palazzo Barberini are also largely Mannerist and Baroque, but the Borghese in particular has such masterpieces that even I find them well worth visiting.

Have you considered the Museo Nazionale Romano, or at least the two locations in the Palazzo Massimo (near Termini) and the Palazzo Altemps (off Corso Vittorio Emanuele)? The Roman frescoes in the Massimo and the Farnese collection of sculptures in the Altemps are wonderful.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 12:26 PM

Here are my notes on the Doria Pamphilj--note info on hours and days of admission is subject to change

This offers a look at an 18th century palace. Ballroom, drawing room, family chapel, reception rooms, and a room devoted to the the ship Andrea Doria. Picture gallery includes
Titian, Ruens, Caravaggio, Brueghel, etc. Piazza del Collegio Romano 2, off via del Corso. phone 06 6797323. Very close to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon. Open Fri-Wed 10-5. Guided tours offered only between 10:30 and 12:30 only, but there is an audio guide in English available at any time. The Tea Room in the Galleria D. P. is elegant and expensive. The exterior of the palazzo is considered to be the finest example of baroque rococco in Rome.

Don't miss Rome's churches, some of its finest art can be found there.

I have a long file on Rome; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 12:45 PM

Here are some of my thoughts:
Thurs. at Vatican. That's a lot of Vatican crammed into one day, especially with the Scavi Tour. With so much time in Rome, consider doing the Scavi and Basilica one day, the Museums on another.
Fri. My favorite catacombs are San Sebastiano. The largest are San Calisto. I don't know what you mean by get as close to Midnight Mass as possible. If the Pope is conducting this Mass inside the Basilica, admittance will be by ticket. There are fireworks shot off from the Janiculum Hill. The crowds gather in Piazza del Popolo.
Sat. Make reservtions for a big mid day meal as early as possible. Le Volte, near the Pantheon is good. If the Capitoline Museums or the Palazzo Colonna Museum is open you might want to visit those.
Sun. Palazzo Barberini is interesting. Is the Pilgrimage Tour one in which you visit Rome's seven Pilgrimage churches? If so, it can be done on a Sunday but since they are scattered, it takes more than half a day.
Mon. If you are in Trastevere, be sure to see the Cavallini mosaics in Santa Maria in Trastevere and his fresco in the convent of Santa Cecilia, although that might be closed on Mondays. See Bernini's Ecstasy of the Blessed Ludivica in the church of San Francesco Ripa.
Tues. I've been to the Spada Gallery and the art collection is mediocre at best. Walk by the facade and see the perspective and then continue on to the Corsini or better yet, the Villa Farnesina.
The suggestion to visit churches is a great one because they contain so many masterpieces. Good ones to consider are: Santa Maria di Popolo, San Luigi Francesi, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, Santa Maria della Pace, San Andrea delle Fratte, San Andrea al Quirinale and San Carlo Quattro Fontane.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 03:39 PM

I have not been to the Doria Pamphilj but it's on our list for our next trip. In "City Secrets Rome" two of the artists writing about Rome say that Velasquez' portrait of Pope Innocent X in that museum is their favorite single painting in Rome. I understand that the audio guide (narrated by the present day Prince Pamphilj) is excellent.

Do you have the City Secrets guidebook? It's good for anyone, but especially for art lovers.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Reservation for New Years Day dinner? Jusy how early is early? I have'nt made plans for lunch in 2 hours much less supper in 3 months.

How does one get tickets for Midnigh Mass?
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:50 AM

You could try to obtain tickets for the Midnight Mass through the Church of Santa Susanna, the American church in Rome:

http://www.santasusanna.org/paulistS...listStaff.html

Be aware, however, that the Web site only mentions the regular papal audiences; it does not mention special events such as the Midnight Mass.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:32 AM

I have some friends who successfully had their hotel arrange the tickets
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Dumb queston. Is New Years Eve or New Years Day a big thing at St.Peters? (I know Midnight Mas on Xmas is(

P.S. Great suggestions, I've taken them all to heart.
P.P.S. Yes : nonnafelice, I am now a prow owner of Sectrete Places:Rome.