Search

Art Education

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Anne

Art Education

I don't know much about artists and the various movements, but know I have a soft spot for impressionism. A friend recently gave me a book on that topic with beautiful pictures. I have enjoyed it even more because I'll be IN PARIS NEXT WEEKEND!!!(Can you tell I'm excited?!)<BR>Anyway, all of that to say that while we prepare ourselves for our trips by learning where to stay/eat/wear/etc, it might be an idea to research some of the art we'll be seeing. That way we will appreciate/understand it even more.<BR>I'm sure this is not an original thought, but I haven't read it on this site. Or are you all way ahead of me and take this idea as a given?!

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 07:26 AM
Marc David Miller

I always do such reseearch before a trip, and recommend that others do this as well. Too often, people think of this as a chore, which is unfortunate, as without a background in the material it somewhat reduces artworks to a series of materials that jot people's memories. <BR> <BR>I think people are generally worse at knowing the history of a particular area rather than the art--that I find particularly tragic (in Moscow last year a woman on an excursion asked what a hammer and sickle symbolized). <BR> <BR>I will say that many guidebooks do cover both the history and art of an area pretty well--Time Out, Eyewitness, and Lonely Planet stand out in this regard. <BR> <BR>Now, with the WWW, such research is possible, even easy, but very time consuming (doing a search on Google for "Impressionism French Paris Painting" turns up about 6,700 sites).

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Anne

I agree with you, research is important. A good site I think, is www.artchive.com, as a start. Idle thoughts led me to wondering whether one gets more enjoyment from museum going if you understand what the artist was trying to convey, etc, or whether just viewing them as they are is as enjoyable. I will try out the sites you mentioned. <BR>I was telling my son about Notre Dame and he told me the two gargoyles in Disney's Hunchback video are named Victor and Hugo! But at least now he knows why! <BR>Anyway, as I said, idle thoughts...

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 08:57 AM
dan woodlief

I agree. I am re-reading a massive art book (from college) on the Italian Renaissance in preparation for an upcoming trip. I may run out of time because it is huge. There are important areas of knowledge that can really add to trips to Europe. One is architectural terms, specifically relating to cathedral construction. Without knowing any terminology, reading an art book can be mind boggling at times (especially regarding architecture). I printed a list of terms from the Web. Personally, other than language, I think the most important thing to know before visiting most places is the history - what shaped the city or country and how it impacts the present.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 09:12 AM
elaine

Someone from this forum once privately told me about the wonderful book <BR>"The Oxford Guide to Christian Art and Architecture." <BR>What a treasure! I am not Christian, she is, but either way it is a wonderful help with particularly Renaissance art. <BR>It is arranged like an encyclopedia, with some entries only a paragraph long, and others a few pages long. It is too heavy a book to carry on a trip imo, but makes for wonderful pre and post trip reading. Not only are the artists, architects, and buildings listed, but <BR>so are each of the saints (so you can recognize them in the pictures and know who did what), major <BR>aspects of Christian theology, etc.

Old Jul 26th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Wendy

I don't know how long you will be in Paris, but as much as I enjoy the museums, I enjoy visiting the places in Paris (and suburbs) that the artists lived, on both the right and left bank and where they painted the paintings now hanging in the museums. <BR> <BR>If you can do the research before you leave, there are excellent books on Impressionsist Paris, that offer self guided walks in certain neighborhoods and you can see the place where the paintings were done. <BR> <BR>I happen to live on Montmartre, full of Impressionist history, Renoir's 'The Swing' and 'Dancing at the Moulin Galette' were painted right next door to me on rue Lepic and Picasso's first atelier is across the street. <BR> <BR>IMHO, Impressionist Paris by Julian More, is wonderful. Not only is it lightweight and easy to read, it is a practical history walking/driving guide full of photographs and suggests where to stop to eat, drink and places to stop with 19th century 'period' ambiance. <BR> <BR>Have a great time!!!!! <BR> <BR>Wendy

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Anne

Thanks for all the suggestions!