Arriving in Rome late at night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling to Rome at the end of June. Our flight doesn't land until 9:45pm. By the time we get our luggage, take the train to Central Termini, it will probably be almost midnight. After reading several posts about the area being unsafe at night, what is the best way to travel to our hotel? Currently, we booked a stay at the Bee-Hive, which is a hostel/inn within 10 minutes walking distance from the station. Now I'm wondering whether I should book another hotel or look into staying at a few convents mentioned on the board to get away from the Termini area. Should I take a cab, take the bus, or take the metro?

Please advise.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM

How about avoiding the train all together & taking a taxi or car service from the airport directly to the Bee Hive? At that time of night I wouldn't want to navigate a new area with luggage. Because you are getting in so late, have you e-mailed the Bee Hive asking their recommendation?

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM
sac

Hi travelbug! You don't need to change hotels, in my opinion. But it might not be a bad idea to consider booking a car service before you leave, so you can be assured of a ride in from the airport at that time of night. I've had excellent luck with car services, and if you use the search function here you'll find some good recommendations.

I just had a quick look at the Leonardo Express schedule on the Trenitalia website and it seems the last train leaves the airport for Termini at 11:35 p.m. So that might not be a great option, if your flight is delayed or your baggage is slow in coming off the plane (which always seems to happen!)

As for the area being unsafe at night, I don't much like it as a single woman. But with your husband, I'm sure you'll be fine! Still, you'll probably both be a bit tired and jetlagged and dragging luggage over cobblestones in an unfamiliar area at that time of night won't be much fun.

You could also catch a cab from the airport, which I'm sure will be available even late at night. Just be sure his meter is running so you don't have any surprises when you arrive!

Have a wonderful trip, I've heard great things about the BeeHive!

sac

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:48 AM

We have been in Termini about the same time and didn't feel unsafe. Lots of people around and lots of activity. May want to take a cab to your hotel. We always stay within about three or four blocks of the station just for the convenience. The area looks a little seedy or rundown but don't get a threatening feeling in the area. It has the same rundown look that a lot of Rome and many European cities have. A bigger issue is how easy is it for your to move. Do you have a lot of luggage? A late night taxi from the airport probably will run in the range of 60 or more Euro.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Sac is correct about the train schedule. However, there is hourly bus all night. But you should easily make the train.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM

The Beehive is about 200 meters from the station, but seeing you have to get in from the airport anyway, I would book a transfer. There is a supplement for after hours. It's not usually included in their posted prices and is usually about 25%. Coming into a new city that late at night is fun no matter which city.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I amon a budget and would like to not have to take the taxi, but at the same time it is very late at night. I am not planning on taking a lot of luggage for I'll be in Europe for 6 weeks. I was going to just use a small rolling luggage, but maybe I should invest in a backpack so it stays with me on my back. But then it is convenient to roll it, but I am afraid of it being snatched. Someone mentioned cars for hire. I did a search on the message board but cannot find anything. Does anyone have a name, number, email I can have?
Thanks!!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM

I would call the hostel and ask them if they can help you. That way you get someone familiar with them and set your price beforehand. Others on this board should be able to help you with the pricing. Don't just take anyone at the airport unless you are very adventuresome. We were duped once and were let off halfway between the airport and inner Rome in the rain (with our 80 yr old father)!!! This was from a cab in the "offical" airport line!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM

if you type in "rome limo" in the search - you'll come up with lots of options. I use airportconnection.it

have fun, e
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Been-there done-that dragging luggage at night to a place that was 10 mintues away from a station. No more!

Hiring a car is NOT expensive and the trouble it saves you is worth the cost many times over, especially when arriving at an unusual hour. Having a clean, comfortable Mercedes and friendly driver waiting to whisk you to your hotel can't be beat.
We've been impressed with RomeShuttleLimousine (www.romeshuttlelimo.com). The 35 euro fee would increase by 5 euro because of your late arrival time. This is still cheaper than the day rate for a taxi. You do not pay until you reach destination (so bring euro with you to make things even easier) and they provide a number to call if for any reason you have trouble locating the driver.

I don't know that I'd call this area "unsafe" for an alert couple but it's certainly seedy and not a place I'd choose to walk at night, unlike the rest of Rome. Remember, too, that street signs are flat plaques about 20 feet up on the sides of buildings and not necessarily on every corner or well-lit, which makes finding your way even more difficult at night.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 12:29 AM

Hi TB - These companies get good reviews for airport transfers:

www.limoservicerome.com
www.airportshuttle.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 04:54 AM

Last March through our hotel we hired
AUTOLEGGIO Gianni Lucarino
39 340 4123621

It was not a Mercedes but a very nice impeccable new car. He was waiting for us with a sign and charged us
35 euro to Trastevere.
He took us back and again punctual and a very nice middle age guy.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 06:08 AM
sac

There are some great ideas here, TravelBug. I've had good luck arranging a driver through my hotel -- as Wondering mentions, it can be helpful to have your hotel arrange a driver that likely has dealt with the BeeHive before, knows how to get there, etc.

I certainly understand your wish to save money but in this case, trying to use public transit might be a false economy in that it could cost you much more in peace of mind. Perhaps you could find a few other small ways to trim costs.....maybe eat a few lunches standing up at bars, which as you probably already know, is much less expensive than being served at a table. Fill your water bottles every time you pass a fountain (safe and great drinking water) That sort of thing.

Best of luck,
sac

Old Apr 14th, 2007, 07:20 AM

We are also budget travelers and I'm the first one to take public transport whenever I can but last year we had the same issue as you with a late night arrival. We used http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/ too and thought it was some of the best money spent the whole trip. It was a great relief to not worry about schedules, flight delays, etc. and just know that the driver would be there waiting for us. They were quick to answer emails and they don't take payment ahead of time. We just paid the driver when we arrived at our apartment.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 07:36 AM

I think cupid failed to complete the name on the link above, but I'm sure she also meant www.romeshuttlelimousine.com
We too find it the best.
By the time you buy two train tickets and pay for a taxi to nearly anywhere in Rome, you will have equaled the cost and added a lot of hassle. Why do that?
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Again, thank you all for your comments. I think I will go ahead and reserve with Rome Shuttle Limosine. They appear to be the cheapest, 35 euros for up to 4 people. That way, I don't have to worry about how to navigate the public transportation system after a 12 hour flight from LA to London to Rome, in the middle of the night. I did email the hotel but they told me to use the Leonardo Express. Anyways, I think I rather have a driver.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM

The info shared here is also very helpful for me. Can someone comment what amount tipping is necessary for the driver for a family of 4? Thanks.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, hx88,

regarding tipping, to use the example of the 35E limo transfer, you could round it up to 40E, if the service were very good. Otherwise, just an extra 2E. [or nothing at all, if you prefer - were you planning on using it for the return? only kidding!]

regards, ann
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Ann, thanks for the formula. BTW, we will fly back from Milan.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Regarding tipping the limo, when we used the Autoleggio that I mentioned in a previous posting, I was going to round it up to 40 euros, I had tthe extra 5 in my hand, but to my surprise he told me " for me only 35 euros". I do not think that everybody will act the same way but this is exactly what happened, after all he was waiting for us at the airport for some time, helped us to load and unload our two suitcases....although if it is very late at night I would imagine that some tip is a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -