Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arriving at Heathrow at 11:20 A.M. leaving 7:20 P.M. - How do I kill time??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:17 PM
kcb

Please help!!! I have an 8 hour lay over. What do I do??

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:58 PM
traveler a

Have you thought about a quick jaunt to Windsor Castle?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 07:34 PM
nancy

My last trip thru Heathrow entailed a 5 hour layover and it was soooo long! If you can get out to Windsor/Eton, go for it. There are a lot of shops and restaurants in Heathrow (probably the best airport I've ever been to) but how long can you look in stores and eat!? I think it's too far away to attempt London and really have any fun. Windsor/Eton depends on how many daylight hours you have.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:10 PM
janis

Are you on a through ticket with London simply a transit point -- OR are you flying on two separate tickets to and from London? Makes a big difference. if you are just transiting vis LHR you will not ne leaving the airside security area and cannot go anywhere.<BR><BR>if you are on two separate tix you would have plenty of time for a trip over to Windsor.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:20 AM
jt

What?!? You mean certain kinds of transit don't allow departing security area? I have even a longer layover in Gatwick (changing carriers, different boarding pass, but from same frequent flyer ticket) - must I cancel excursions?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:24 AM

JT you should verify with British Immigration on rules about leaving. Typically, if you are making an international connection at the airport you are kept airside and never clear UK Immigration. You will be taken to the "transfer lounge" and wait there for your next flight. We have done this a couple of times and our long layovers were spent in the transfer lounge. We were bussed to this lounge, then had to wait there, no way out except to boarding gates for the next flight. You might be allowed to leave, but then again if so, you will be required to clear immigration etc. My bet is that you will be confined to the transfer lounge for the duration.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:27 AM
Karen

There have been other posts on this, and it seems that if you are traveling on a through ticket to another country, you do not go through UK immigrations and are therefore not allowed to leave the airport. <BR><BR>For example, if you are flying, I don't know, Air Italia from Boston to London to Venice, all on one ticket, then you can't leave LHR. <BR><BR>However, if you have 2 different sets of tickets (R/T to LHR and then R/T to somewhere else, purchased as separate tickets), then you will be allowed to leave.<BR><BR>I am sure this is also true of Gatwick.