Arrival Night: Milan or Varenna

Old May 5th, 2001, 12:09 AM
Jan

Arrival Night: Milan or Varenna

Need help please! Traveling alone, I arrive into Malpensa airport at 4:55pm on a Monday. My final destination is Varenna on Lake Como where I begin a tour on that Thursday evening.

Since I "think" I want to do quick day tour of Milan some time between Tuesday and Thursday, should I stay in Milan for that first night? Currently, for the arrival night I've booked Hotel Andreola in Milan to be close to Stazione Centrale. In this way, I thought I could take a Tuesday morning tour of Milan including Last Supper, then catch train late afternoon to Varenna.

But would it be smarter (considering arrival eve rush hour traffic, jet lag, etc.) to continue on that arrival evening to Varenna on Lake Como, where I'm presently booked from Tuesday thru Saturday, and just make a day trip into Milan?

After the long journey and late afternoon arrival time, not sure where I should base first evening. Thanks for any advice you can share.

Old May 5th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Howard

It's a tought choice and I could go either way:
First, because you say you want to spend a day in Milan, it would make some sense to do it when you arrive. Also, you'll probably be tired after the all-night flight and staying in Milan will give you a chance to get a little rest!
Also, I'm not sure of what kind of travel connections you can make to Varenna in the evening, keeping in mind that it'll probably be at least 6 p.m. before you get your luggage and clear customs.
However, I could also recommend the alternative, since the Lake Como area is magnificent and you should spend as much time there as possible! And, it might be possible to make travel connections in the early evening.
It's a tough choice. Many of the posters will tell you to skip Milan. I happen to like it and think it's worth seeing. However, if I was forced to make a choice, I'd probably opt to spend the extra time in Varenna and its surroundings! But again, it would depend on whether I could make connections when I arrive.

Old May 5th, 2001, 09:54 AM
Jan

Thanks, Howard, that's given me much food for thought. Perhaps some other folks might have ideas on connecting straight to Varenna from Malpensa. I believed I'd have to travel to the main train station in Milan and take a train from there. Hmm! Perhaps a bus to Como and a late ferry to Varenna? See, it gets even more confusing. Will keep hoping for more info, as I continue my own investigations. Thanks.

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Jan

Howard: Your response on my other post regarding train or bus to Lake Como has given me my final plan...to take bus from Malpensa to Como, then morning ferry to Varenna. Appreciate it; cleared my thinking. If Milan fits in elsewhere, so be it. Now I'm off searching for lodging in Como for one night. Oh, where's my Rick Steves' book?

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Howard

Jan, check my response on the other thread that you posted a similar question. I offered another possible solution!

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Howard

P.S.: Jan, you're going to love Varenna and the rest of the Lake Como area!