Reload this Page >

Around Madrid. What to do ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 03:19 AM
Claudia

IŽll stay in Madri for 5 days. <BR>What is good around there ? <BR>By car , train or tour buses ? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 03:26 AM
Erin

Madrid is one of those "love it or hate it" cities...I loved it. There is plenty to do..visit the Presidential Palace, the Prado, the Thysen-Borneismiza (sp?), shopping, Plaza Mayor. And of course there is the nightlife...Madrilenos know how to party like no other! <BR> <BR>Although I didn't do this when I was there....you can take the AVE (high speed train) to Seville. I think the trip takes 2.5 hours. Also you can do daytrips to Toledo and there is another place nearby, but I can't remember the name. Have fun!

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 07:07 AM
jen

You can go to Segovia on a day trip also. It is about an hour bus ride from Madrid. The buses are luxury buses - and they get you there faster than the train. They also depart more frequently. Both Segovia and Toledo are a nice break from the big city life in Madrid.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 10:58 AM
Evan

Claudia, just back from a trip to Madrid and Andalucia. We spent four days in Madrid and packed it well with museums, shopping, eating and drinking. The metro is very easy to figure out and very safe and clean. Our only beef was the air pollution -- it hasn't rained much this year in Madrid and my allergies acted up because of all the motor scooters and diesel-burning vehicles. You have to remember Madrid is a city of 7 million plus. Still, we enjoyed the city very much. <BR>I would recommend day trips to Segovia or Toledo. To Segovia, we took a morning bus on the Sepulvedana line and returned on the evening bus. (they run every hour). It's a breathtaking place, but I understand it gets clogged with people on weekends. So keep that in mind. <BR>We did Toledo as a stop on our drive from Madrid to Andalucia. I wish we had spent an overnight there. It's a beautiful city that you'd want to get to know a little better. Next time I'm back, I'll definitely give Toledo more time. <BR>write if you need any other suggestions.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 04:13 PM
Sandra

I agree with both of the above. I'm not a big fan of Madrid, but adore Segovia. I spent three days there just meandering around the windy streets. The castle is breathtaking and the aqueduct is just amazing. Toledo is the kind of place that makes you daydream about the way people use to live there.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 06:01 PM
Carol

We were recently in Madrid and took tours by bus. The tours we took leave from the Gran Via. Hotels have brochurs of the tour companies. We went to Avila and Segovia and it was a great tour. Avila is a walled city and really worth visiting. They rush you along but you see a lot. Tours run about $65 for the day and include lunch. They also do a half day to El Escorial, the monastery that Felipe II built as his royal palace and it also visits Valley of the Fallen, the huge cross on the mountain where the Spanish civil war fallen are buried and where Franco now lies. <BR>I absolutely love Madrid and we walked all over the city. The Royal Palace is lovely and the Plaza Mayor is a place we kept going back to. Also there is never enough time for the Prado and all the other museums there. <BR>We took a train to Alcala de Henares which is the city of Cervantes and has the first university in Spain and the birthplace of Katherine of Aragon. There is lots to do in Madrid. Have fun.

Old Mar 24th, 2000, 09:01 AM
Thomas

Do whatever Carol said she did. I too love Madrid and have been many times and going again in July. The travelbooks, like Fodor or others give good ideas.. But I tend to walk walk walk all over, even to the bullring where there is a nice museum.

Old Mar 25th, 2000, 09:03 PM
teri

I just returned from Madrid. I spent two days and three nights. I stayed on the Grand Via (a main street in Madrid) and was never at a loss as to what to do. Do bring good walking shoes though. I think I walked around 10 miles a day. You can take a bus or metro, but I was always worried I would miss something. (and I would have) Just bring a good travel book and walk to you destination. You will see wonderful things on the way. I did take the train to Seville. It took 2.5 hours and cost about $60. one way. You need to spend at least two nights in Seville just to keep from getting lost. The sights are overwhelming. Again I walked alot!! My point is that the last thing you will have to worry about is what to do. Be sure and see the Palacio Real. I went to the Prado, but wished I had gone to the Museo Thyssen-bornemisza across the street.

Old Mar 26th, 2000, 03:08 AM
Maira

A critical thing you MUST do before you land in Madrid is read about the city. Not just about the sights, but the history of Madrid, about its literary figures, the Civil War on the 30's, life under Franco, etc...This will almost guarantee that, once you are in Madrid, you will be at awe, not only of Madrid, but of the Madrilenos. <BR> <BR>If you need to get of the city for a day, I suggest Avila, or Segovia, or Toledo. Last May, we drove from Madrid to Toledo and visited the morning (what a town!). In the afternoon we decided to drive to Consuegra; windmills country. The region was exactly as Cervantes decribed it in 'Don Quijote'. Fascinating.